Hen - Rooster ratio

The heaviest breeds may have a ratio of 1 rooster to 5 hens. However, most breeds do well with 8-12 hens, especially the lighter weight ones.

I hope this helps.
smile.png

What is a good hen to rooster ratio?
Depends on your goals......and your individuals birds behaviors, your facilities and desired management level.

The oft cited 10:1 is from commercial fertilization rate needs.
Many pure bred breeders keep pairs, trios, quads,ect.

Unless you give your goals and concerns, that's a hard question to answer definitively.

I've just got them as pets and egg layers. They roam the yard. From time to time I let one or two eggs hatch out.

I've just got them as pets and egg layers. They roam the yard. From time to time I let one or two eggs hatch out.

To prevent the rooster from over breeding, make sure he has at least 5 hens, if not more. It depends on the individual roosters personality though.

Last edited:
I've got 9 hens now. Will be getting more in the next few months. I've got 2 roosters. 1 is young the other is a little over a year old.

I've kept over two roosters together without a problem. Teen roosters are more prone to over-breeding, but typically settle down with age. If you have two, I would suggest at least 8 hens per rooster.

Back
Top Bottom