hen song

TomG

Songster
9 Years
Jun 26, 2010
Lake Oswego
I've heard that chickens sing a song before laying eggs. I have a seventeen month old Golden sex link that was making new sounds so I set her in the nesting box an hour ago. she is still there rearanging the pine shavings.
My question is... what does the egg song sound like? I'm new at this. I'm hoping she lays an egg but perhaps she just likes hanging around in the nest box now that I forced her into it. Crossing my fingers.

The first stanza of the Egg Song goes like this:

"Bok bok bok bok bok bok bok bok buh-GAWK!"

Repeat about a zillion times.

If you PM me with your e-mail address, I will send you a rather large audio file (3 minutes) of my Rebecca singing it after she laid an egg. She went 3 minutes without a break!

I agree with gryeyes interpretation of the 'egg song'.....and the others often join in to make a dreadful din!

Sandie

It's almost like your hen changed into a rooster. They make a lot of noise. Loud noise. No clucking and chicken noises. It's screeching and yelling.

Like gryeyes posted. They do it overandoverandoveroverandoverandoveroverandoverandoveroverandoverandover.

I would tell mine "If you lay and egg, you can go ahead and shut up.". Whew. Once they start laying, it seems to settle down to where you can tell when it's time for one to lay, in a little while. Minutes to hours. Not squawking for *days* on end. My goodness that got old!

Imagine this for two weeks.... see the bright red comb? My chickens go pink, right after they lay, then redden up as they get close to laying again. That's one way for me to know when it's time to check the nests.

Last edited:
As I've posted before it is one of the most adorable songs that a chicken can make. Gryeyes has it dead to rights.

Bok bok bok bok bok bugawk!

We always stop what we are doing to listen.

Back
Top Bottom