Hen suddenly off both her legs

angelikimarie

Songster
6 Years
Nov 5, 2015
Melbourne Fl
I have a hen that is about 4-5 years old, she has been absolutely fine this week, she was eating normal and free ranging, and obviously last night she got in the coop fine and she was roosting with the others when I closed the coop up. Today I found her completely off her legs, they are stiffened and sticking out away from her body to the back. I put her in a dog crate on my porch with food and water and she immediately began drinking and eating. I read that it could be vitamin deficiency so I am getting chicken vitamins. I cooked her 1 egg and she ate the whole thing. Nibbled on some fruit too. I am at a loss, I instantly thought Mareks and my heart sank because I have 30 birds, but she is not young, and all my other chickens are fine, and this was sooo sudden, like I said she was absolutely fine before, I also haven’t taken in any stray chickens in years.
Has anyone had this issue before?
Thank you

Attachments

• AA8E120F-4331-4C94-9CC0-44827005240D.jpeg
    AA8E120F-4331-4C94-9CC0-44827005240D.jpeg
    768.5 KB · Views: 7
What exactly had you been feeding daily and when was the last time you brought a new to you bird home?

I have been giving vitamins for the past few days now, and am giving her homeopathic nerve meds that I read about on here. It seems she is able (with my help) to bend her legs underneath her now and sit kind of normal and her toes are curling when I bend her leg. If it is Marek’s I am hoping she pulls through.

I have been giving vitamins for the past few days now, and am giving her homeopathic nerve meds that I read about on here. It seems she is able (with my help) to bend her legs underneath her now and sit kind of normal and her toes are curling when I bend her leg. If it is Marek’s I am hoping she pulls through.
I hope she continues to improve.
What were those nerve meds?

Updating just in case anyone finds my situation similar to theirs at some point.
She is standing and taking small steps on her own!!
Been giving vitamins and hypericum
1 pellet of hypericum dissolved into 1 tablespoon of DISTILLED WATER only. Mix in plastic or glass only.
Give 5 drops if bantam
10-15 drops if LF
Every 12 hours

Back
Top Bottom