Hen urinating and sudden lying on floor of coop instead of roost. HELP

brierose3

Songster
7 Years
Jan 15, 2013
Central Coast, Australia
Tonight I found one of my hens lying on the floor of the coop. When i picked her up she just froze and i could hear growling, swishing noises coming from her stomach? Then she just urinated. No poop just urine. I put her in a cat carrier and took her inside the house Then she urinated more in the box. I noticed this urinating thing in one of the other chickens and I wormed them but still happening. Also this hen has been really thin to begin with since we got her from the RSPCA with our other hen and rooster. She never gained any weight and her feathers have always been rough and brittle looking. What could be wrong with her?

What you were seeing was clear diarrhea. The urine in chickens is the white part of the droppings. She could be drinking a lot of water from the heat making her do this. I would worm all your chickens, and offer a probiotic such as buttermilk or yogurt twice a week in their feed.

It's winter at the moment so it's not that hot. Also when I picked her up last night she rolled onto her side and I lifted her up to put her in the carrier then she just layed on her back. I also noticed she has lice so we are treating them for live at the moment. I will give them probiotics soon.

Check her crop to see if it could be full and squishy (sour crop) or hard (impacted crop.) Can you get amprollium, Coxoid, or sulfa drugs to treat her for coccidiosis? She may have that since she is a rescue. Worms can also weaken them, but she sounds very sick right now. I hope she starts to improve. Here is a link about cocci: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/12/coccidiosis-what-backyard-chicken.html

I checked on her this morning and she can't seem to stand up. I gave her food an water. She drank but she didn't touch the food and as soon as she drank the water she diahrread then sat down in it. I moved her and she took a few steps then collapsed and laid on her side. ??

Check her crop to see if it could be full and squishy (sour crop) or hard (impacted crop.)  Can you get amprollium, Coxoid, or sulfa drugs to treat her for coccidiosis?  She may have that since she is a rescue.  Worms can also weaken them, but she sounds very sick right now.  I hope she starts to improve. Here is a link about cocci:   http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/12/coccidiosis-what-backyard-chicken.html

Thank you. I'm on the way to school now so I'll tell my parents.

Back
Top Bottom