HEN WHEEZING BREATHING EVERY BREATH!

shaneensmith

Songster
Nov 26, 2018
Quesnel, BC
I swear I post on here more than anyone - I cannot believe I am having so many issues with my chickens . . .

I just have a question I need clarified; what does "incubation period" mean? does it mean that is the number of days it takes to get bad? like a spreading virus or bacteria or something?

This Amerucana / cross hen is breathing funny - like wheezing - every single breath. UGH!!!!

See video.

Some birds I got from a so called "friend" may have Mycoplasma synoviae (some of these hens have crooked toes and knobby knees and knuckles) And one of the birds I saw bubbles in its eyeball (Mycoplasma Gallisepticum) . . . any of those dirty birdies that sneezed, I pulled it out and away from my Cream Legbar's and those dirty birdies are way from my Cream Legbar flock. One of my cream leg bars died yesterday and I have NO IDEA why :(. I am just so devastated (hoping I can still send it for a necropsy)

My cream leg bars are clean stock, new hens 5 months old - they have just been introduced to outside in April. I am going to say the culprit here are the nasty birds I got from my "friend" (yeah sure). Anyways, long story short - I quarantined those birds for 35 days and they were ALL FINE! There was some sneezing, but not persistent, they were digging in the dirt when I heard them do it . . . what on earth is going on!

I am just so pissed at myself for even taking these birds in - I should have looked at them closer before I even considered it . . . :(

any advice is appreciated :(

If her folded wings are open away from her sides, that means she is hot. That's how they cool their body and sometimes they'll make that noise. I had an EE that honked when she was hot.
Otherwise the wheezing is mucus buildup in the trachea due to MG.

It sounds like the chicken in the video is having stridor, a sound they make when there is somethingpartially blocking the airway. That can be mucus, swollen tissue, or feed stuck in the airway. Sometimes it will clear over several hours, or overnight. Sometimes they may be sneezing if there is a respiratory infection.

You have many threads about your chickens and the new chickens you brought in that seem ill will a respiratory disease. We have suggested culling one or two birds to get a necropsy where they can tell you what you are dealing with. The legbar needs to be refrigerated for a necropsy, but I would cull one of the sick new birds to make sure that you can get a diagnosis. You have not mentioned that the legbar had any noticeable respiratory symptoms, so she might have died from something else.

You mentioned swollen joints in some of the new birds, as well as upper respiratory symptoms, so you could be dealing with 2 different types of mycoplasma—gallisepticum and synovitis. MG and MS will make carriers of your chickens for life. There are other possible respiratory diseases as well.

Many labs will do 1-3 birds for a bargain single price, so I would ask your poultry lab. I gave the link for your poultry lab in BC in one of your previous threads here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/bubbly-eye-sneezing-rattled-breathing.1307513/

If her folded wings are open away from her sides, that means she is hot. That's how they cool their body and sometimes they'll make that noise. I had an EE that honked when she was hot.
Otherwise the wheezing is mucus buildup in the trachea due to MG.
she does not have her wings away from her sides. She is still currently breathing the same this morning.

It sounds like the chicken in the video is having stridor, a sound they make when there is somethingpartially blocking the airway. That can be mucus, swollen tissue, or feed stuck in the airway. Sometimes it will clear over several hours, or overnight. Sometimes they may be sneezing if there is a respiratory infection.

You have many threads about your chickens and the new chickens you brought in that seem ill will a respiratory disease. We have suggested culling one or two birds to get a necropsy where they can tell you what you are dealing with. The legbar needs to be refrigerated for a necropsy, but I would cull one of the sick new birds to make sure that you can get a diagnosis. You have not mentioned that the legbar had any noticeable respiratory symptoms, so she might have died from something else.

You mentioned swollen joints in some of the new birds, as well as upper respiratory symptoms, so you could be dealing with 2 different types of mycoplasma—gallisepticum and synovitis. MG and MS will make carriers of your chickens for life. There are other possible respiratory diseases as well.

Many labs will do 1-3 birds for a bargain single price, so I would ask your poultry lab. I gave the link for your poultry lab in BC in one of your previous threads here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/bubbly-eye-sneezing-rattled-breathing.1307513/
yes - one is going to get culled Monday. I am so upset. I will never ever ever get birds from a so called "friend" again - and I will ONLY buy from hatcheries from now on. I am so choked.

Back
Top Bottom