Hen will not leave roost

Pine Grove's suggestion makes sense according to our experience. We added a mature hen to our flock. After her first day she took to the top roost and stayed there. Other hens would go up there and sit with her and everybody seemed to be accepting of her. She would only come down and eat and drink when I was in the coop. After a couple of days I realized why. Our big Brown-Red Ameraucana rooster was down on the floor waiting for her! For the first week or so, he was obsessed with mating with her and I think she was hanging out on the roost because he couldn't mate with her when she was there.

I'm wondering how high the roost is and whether she injured herself getting down recently. My girls have a hay bale and a milking stool to use for the trip down to the floor and they appreciate it, even with thick bedding. Might be a leg injury...poor thing must be getting dehydated and hungry. Do you think she goes down periodically to eat and drink? She might roost on a piece of 4x4 on the floor where she can reach food and water but if not you should separate her and baby her. One more thought- if she is on the far left when you face the roosts she might be guarding the alpha position- perhaps she has been challenged for top spot.

cool.png

Last edited:
Do you have a rooster with her?..If so thats the problem, she's probably molting and very sore, She's hanging on the roost to avoid being bothered by the rooster....
This sounds like exactly my problem. Notice my rooster going after her alot. And her not handling it well.. in your experience.. should I separate the rooster for a few days. Or her? Or leave her be?

Back
Top Bottom