Hen with a limp

PBlanck

Chirping
11 Years
Oct 8, 2012
Kansas City, MO
In May we took our mature hens to stay at our lake place and purchased five baby chicks at the store to restart our flock at home in the city.

All was fine at first. They grew indoors, all were happy and healthy. When they were big enough I moved them outside. After they were outside for a couple weeks I noticed one of them had a limp. The more I studied her, I realized she was not putting any weight on one leg, just using it to balance and hobbling to and fro. After another week I inspected her closer. The knee joint seemed larger than the other. Still being an adolescent I was hoping she would outgrow it.

Fast forward and they are now all laying eggs, but she is still limping about. She doesn't come out to free range when I let them.

The last few days when I would go out in the morning with treats, I noticed four were running around the coop, and she was in a corner with her head buried under a ledge. Clearly she is now being picked on and can't get away so she has to hide.

Do I segregate her, knowing that it would probably be permanent? Do I leave her in the coop hoping that things work themselves out over time? I am losing hope that the leg will heal.

I keep ducks not chickens, but have you tried holding her and putting gentle pressure on the bottom of the bad leg? does it seem to cause her discomfort if you do? Hopefully someone more knowledgable with chickens will pop in soon. :)

Thank you for that link. That gives me a few things to look for and actually helped me diagnose a problem I had with a previous bird

Can you post some photos of the leg, joint and pullet?
If she's being picked on, hiding and having a hard time moving around, then separating her would be a good idea.
For temporary separation, a large kennel works well - if you have a secure coop or run, place it in there so she can still be with the others. Fencing off a section for her during the day may be an option too. Anytime you can, keep an injured or sick bird near the other so they can at least stay somewhat familiar - this may (not always) help with re-integration if they recover well enough to join the flock.

Back
Top Bottom