Hen with broken leg

ShinShien

Crowing
6 Years
Oct 1, 2013
Alabama
This hen survived breaking her leg, but it's now useless. She can't walk, run...anything requiring legs. She can stand and hop, getting adept at one-legged motion. The main flock picks on her, and she can't flee predators. What does one do with a special needs chicken?

Attachments

• 20170826_101151.jpg
    20170826_101151.jpg
    909 KB · Views: 4
  • 20170826_101132.jpg
    20170826_101132.jpg
    994.9 KB · Views: 3
I have heard of amputation of a small silkies leg but never a large fowl... I would make sure the leg is in the right position to heal and if possible try to have have to move the least amount possible like a separate coop while she's healing

I had a cockerel with a broken leg--about three months old.

I put the boy upside-down between my legs, pulled on the leg until it clicked straight, then cut up a yoghurt can until I had a 2.5x4 -inch square of plastic. I wrapped that around his leg, padded it with an old sock, secured it with electric tape, and left him to heal in a rabbit cage (with the bunny, they didn't bother each other) for a week before letting him run with the rest of the flock.

After that, I just kept an eye on him and removed it a month later. No complications, no trouble other than confinement and feeding him. He even drank out of the rabbit water bottle.

I hope yours is that easy to fix.

EDT: His leg did turn greenish for a while, but the color receded. I have no idea why it did that--It didn't look inflamed or infected otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom