Hen with broken wing.

JCBond

Hatching
Mar 7, 2016
Hi All,

New to the forum here. I live in Central Utah, and I just built a chicken coop this winter. A friend of mine gave me about twenty chickens he didn't need but one hen had a broken wing. It sticks out from her side and she cannot pull it in. Well, she falls over a lot and cannot get up. She just lays in the same spot kicking. So about three or four times a day I go out and find her and stand her up so she can run around again. It's also difficult for her to get onto a roost in the evening. I was just wondering if anyone knows anything you can do about it.

Thanks

Justin

Do you know if the wing is sticking out at an odd angle, or is it hanging low? It sounds like she has some balance problems, as well as walking difficulty which can be signs of Mareks disease. Do you know if she was vaccinated for Mareks? If she has sikmply a broken wing, there is a figure 8 bandage that can be applied to hold the wing next to the body while it heals. For the time beikng, I would place her ikn a dog crate or pen close to food and water. Try to see if she has any paralysis in her feet, legs, or wings.

Do you know if the wing is sticking out at an odd angle, or is it hanging low? It sounds like she has some balance problems, as well as walking difficulty which can be signs of Mareks disease. Do you know if she was vaccinated for Mareks? If she has sikmply a broken wing, there is a figure 8 bandage that can be applied to hold the wing next to the body while it heals. For the time beikng, I would place her ikn a dog crate or pen close to food and water. Try to see if she has any paralysis in her feet, legs, or wings.
Hi, thanks for the reply,

It is hanging out at an odd angle and I cannot fold it back in. She does not have balance problems. She gets knocked over by the roosters or falls over trying to get on the roost. I cannot fold the wing back in to tape it.

Back
Top Bottom