Hen with cracked rib? Strain/sprain?

Happy Chick Home

Chirping
Sep 15, 2022
New Mexico
My 7 - 8 month old hen has an injury. I found her unable to roost 2 evenings ago. I put her on a roost and she, squawking the whole time, just fell off. She wasn't eating I think because she was in pain with every movement. She is a black sex-link, (looks Marin like and maybe RIR). One of these hens kept getting herself stuck between a chain-link fence and a board, not attached but up against the fence. She eventually worked her way out each time (if it was the same hen). That's all I can think of where she might have been hurt.
I took her into the house to my hospital when she fell off the roost. By the morning she hadn't pooped at all. I hand fed her. Eventually, she pooped very little substance, all wet. Liquid poop yesterday. Hand fed this morning vegetables and fruit as she had zero interest in grains or feed. I held the water dish so she didn't have to move and she drank a lot.

She behaves like she has a cracked rib if you know what that's like. I can find no break or obvious injury. She lets her wing droop yet acts more like she hurts below the wing.

Should I just keep her still in the hospital room or try to wrap her somehow?

No chicken vets around here and would cost less to buy several new hens anyway so not an option.

Any help is appreciated.

Can you place her in a wire dog crate within your coop and run, with food and water, so that she can be near the others? That way you can observe her closely.

In case she does have some injury, I would be trying to give her vitamin water, such as Poultry Cell, Nutra Drench or something like that as she'd need nutrients to help her heal.

I'm also a big proponent of probiotics as sometimes those can work miracles with some ailments of chickens. We ferment feed which is high in probiotics, but when I don't, I will put Hydro Hen in their water once or twice a week or give sugar-free Greek yogurt if I have some of that. Raw Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV with the mother) 1 TBS/gallon of water is probiotic too but you shouldn't give that too often, like skip a day at least btwn.

Thank you. I am not able to spend enough time right now with the chickens to watch them. Right now, I see that she moves as little as possible. Since I have had to hand feed her I can best do that with her close to me rather than me close to her. I have a small run (bigger than a crate) inside the run where she can be reintroduced.
I just don't know how to minimize her pain until she heals up. If I had a sling I could suspend her in I would try that to get her off her leg. I saw her laying down today so maybe she is a bit more comfortable (or more tired.)

In case she does have some injury, I would be trying to give her vitamin water, such as Poultry Cell, Nutra Drench or something like that as she'd need nutrients to help her heal.

I'm also a big proponent of probiotics as sometimes those can work miracles with some ailments of chickens. We ferment feed which is high in probiotics, but when I don't, I will put Hydro Hen in their water once or twice a week or give sugar-free Greek yogurt if I have some of that. Raw Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV with the mother) 1 TBS/gallon of water is probiotic too but you shouldn't give that too often, like skip a day at least btwn.
I do have some vitamins here. I'll give her some. I have yogurt too and raw acv. Agree about too much acv. Will do the rest. I did give her a little yogurt and pumpkin when I brought her in.
I think it's weird that she wouldn't eat the grains but maybe she hadn't been able to get herself to the water since last night.

Back
Top Bottom