Hen with crooked/bulging neck

JKGooch

In the Brooder
Aug 23, 2016
My molting hen developed a strange bulge on the right side of her neck. When I feel it, it just feels like bone to me like she suffered some kind of twisted neck injury. We have hee in quarantine. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of what this is and how to help her. Otherwise she seems okay. She was molting for several weeks before this began. Any insight really would be great.View attachment 1147341

It could be the crop - the food basket in her neck. If you take away food and water before evening feed, and it seems less in the morning, that would be it, even though it looks a little to the left of center. There's nothing to worry about; it's natural. Worst case scenario is that it's a cyst or tumor. Chickens are subject to hundreds of different kinds of those. It's one of the best arguments to be made for a genetically diverse flock!

How is your hen?

Being on the right side, it's probably not her crop. It could be an injury, but there's no way to know unless you have vet care.

Since she is molting, you can provide her with some extra protein daily and poultry vitamins a couple of days a week. If the neck appears to be twisting, find a poultry vitamins like Poultry Nutri-Drench or Poultry Cell that contains Vitamin E, B1 and selenium.

Keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom