Hen with injured leg! Dislocation? Help!

Gave her another aspirin tonight, and more cream on her bumblefoot. She seems to be the same as yesterday.
She also laid an egg an hour or so ago, pretty late! Didn't see her do it, and I was wondering how'd she do laying with her bad leg.

Since my she has bumblefoot, I checked some of my other hens for it. I found at least four that had it, some had it on one foot and some on both. Can bumblefoot be kinda normal?? I've been keeping chickens awhile and haven't dealt with it, but also never checked their feet.
Three of my hens with it I removed the plug and cleaned it out, then wrapped it. Only did one foot on each, two of them did have it on both feet. I just don't want to deal with too many wrappings and such at once.

Bumblefoot is a staph infection. If it has turned in, it can be very painful. The Aspirin may not be enough or your hen could have a degree in drama.

It is NOT Marek's. Marek's causes paralysis and affects the entire leg. She's holding leg up. Something hurts.

Bumblefoot is a staph infection. If it has turned in, it can be very painful. The Aspirin may not be enough or your hen could have a degree in drama.
Thank you for the advice! I hope she has a swift and speedy recovery. 🤞
It is NOT Marek's. Marek's causes paralysis and affects the entire leg. She's holding leg up. Something hurts.
Glad to hear that! I knew it was unlikely, but the thought of it worried me.

Since my she has bumblefoot, I checked some of my other hens for it. I found at least four that had it, some had it on one foot and some on both. Can bumblefoot be kinda normal?? I've been keeping chickens awhile and haven't dealt with it, but also never checked their feet.
Three of my hens with it I removed the plug and cleaned it out, then wrapped it. Only did one foot on each, two of them did have it on both feet. I just don't want to deal with too many wrappings and such at once.
If they are not limping or acting bothered by the scabs, I would just monitor them.

When so many chickens turn up with bumblefoot, it's a sign that all your chickens may be jumping down from perches that are too high off the floor and/or the floor may lack enough cushioning, and they are landing on a hard surface that is bruising their feet. Many cases of bumblefoot begin with bruising. You need to look at your coop for conditions that cause bruising.

Some cases of bumblefoot can be caught before infection begins. The difference between an infected pad and an early injury is a thick black scab usually with signs of irritated tissue around the scab in bumblefoot and a thin lighter colored scab in an uninfected foot.

To make sure you learn the difference, go ahead and soak all the feet in Epsom salts and Dawn dish detergent. This softens the scab so it will easily peel off if it's not infected and there will be only a flat red abrasion under it. In bumblefoot, you will get some solid waxy pus, usually attached to the thicker, darker scab.

For a simple uninfected injury, you can usually get away with spraying it with Vetericyn for a few days, and it will heal very quickly. Bumblefoot may need wrapping if the wound went quite deep.

But do take a look at those roosts and the amount of bedding under them.

When so many chickens turn up with bumblefoot, it's a sign that all your chickens may be jumping down from perches that are too high off the floor and/or the floor may lack enough cushioning, and they are landing on a hard surface that is bruising their feet. Many cases of bumblefoot begin with bruising. You need to look at your coop for conditions that cause bruising.

Some cases of bumblefoot can be caught before infection begins. The difference between an infected pad and an early injury is a thick black scab usually with signs of irritated tissue around the scab in bumblefoot and a thin lighter colored scab in an uninfected foot.

To make sure you learn the difference, go ahead and soak all the feet in Epsom salts and Dawn dish detergent. This softens the scab so it will easily peel off if it's not infected and there will be only a flat red abrasion under it. In bumblefoot, you will get some solid waxy pus, usually attached to the thicker, darker scab.

For a simple uninfected injury, you can usually get away with spraying it with Vetericyn for a few days, and it will heal very quickly. Bumblefoot may need wrapping if the wound went quite deep.

But do take a look at those roosts and the amount of bedding under them.
I learn so much from y'all, you're all so knowledgeable! So thank you for that. I'm always learning new things! 😊❤️

By the sounds of it, the 3 hens that I thought had bumblefoot actually do not. I didn't see any pus.
As for the roosts and bedding, in the coop the roosts are roughly 1 1/2ft off the floor, it is a raised coop. I know the bedding isn't too too thick. The roosts in the coop are 2x4s and are smooth. The coop is about 2 1/2 feet off the ground, and the run doesn't really have much bedding. I have two hens that sleep out in the run on perches from cedar wood off the ground about 2 1/2 feet too. Then I have 4 hens who sleep on the ramp, I tried for so long to get them into the coop, but they haven't learned yet. Its probably cause of my setup. 😐
My coop and run are a bit...complicated, next year I am planning to redo a lot of it to make it simpler.

Back
Top Bottom