hen with leg issue. Not sure if she is hurt or what. And poop is green

dixiem

Hatching
8 Years
Dec 27, 2011
We are new to chickens, we have 3 females. A 6month old, 2 month old and 1 month old. Our 2 month old is acting a little off. I first noticed 2 days ago, that when we hold her she keeps backing up, almost to the point of falling out of your hands. When I put her back in her cage, we watched her and she is favoring her right leg, she will sit back on it when eating, and when she walks she stumbles some, she also will stumble if she is just standing there not putting much weight on it. She just yesterday started pooping green poop, instead of her normal brown and white poop. she just recently started having meal worms. Not sure if that is why the poop is green or if it has to do with the leg. I have inspected her leg and it looks ok, I don't see anything obvious. Any ideas? I am worried about her. She is not with the older hen, she is in with the 1 month old, they are currently in our house, we don't have a coop built yet. They are Serama's so they are quite small and like the warmth of the house. We started 2 months ago with this hen and another chick that turned out to be a rooster, he has gone to live with my friend and we got two new babies, again, we got a female and a rooster, so the little rooster again is with my friend. Then she gave us the 6month old hen.
thanks for any help and ideas.
Dixie
hmm.png

Didn't know what a crop was until now, haha. I do now, I think it is ok, it was a tiny bit more pronounced than the 6month olds, but she had also been eating. She just had a couple brown poops also a little while ago. So that may not be so much of an issue now. I am mostly concerned about her leg. I have no idea what is going on with that, she can walk on it normal, I got her out and put her on the floor, she stumbled sometimes, she crept along sometimes and other times she stood up tall and walked. It is very strange.

You might try poly visol without iron(baby vitamins you can pick up at Walmart) or VetRx. It could be vitamin defiency. Is it possible that the chicks leg was injured? Maybe someone else will chime in and help.

She doesn't seem to be in any pain and sometimes she seems to walk fine, other times she is walking like she is drunk. she is still on the medicated chick feed. I have the next step up in feed that I could start her on, but I am not sure that that will make a difference. I will keep an eye on her and maybe I will go check into the vitamins. She seems to be happy otherwise, she is eating and all that and gets excited if I get the meal worms out and goes right for them. Thanks for your feedback, I appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom