Hen with muscle spasms around vent?

dustbath

Songster
11 Years
Jun 26, 2008
Washington County, NY
I'm afraid I have an ill hen but I have no idea what is wrong. I've noticed some soft droppings but don't if they are hers. Yesterday I saw that her vent area is messy. I've been trying to get a stool sample but haven't been able to catch her in the act (I don't want to analyze the wrong bird's droppings).

She has seemed sort of listless but it's hard to tell. It's been cold and none of the chickens are very active.

Today, when I cleaned off her back area, I saw that she seems to be having some sort of muscular contraction around her vent. It sort of sucks in and out. Her abdomen is soft and I can't feel an egg (the other hen just started laying again).

Tonight, on the roost, she still seems to be having the contractions: she's sort of rocking backward and forward.

She was diagnosed with cocci in August or September and I treated her with amprolium but I may have given her a very low dose (a vet told me to use 2 cc of Cortid per gallon of water and see much higher doses indicated on postings here).

Does this sound familiar? Any suggestions, etc? I might be able to find a vet to treat her, if necessary, but I can only do that a limited number of times and don't want to waste one if it's not necessary.

For background, she's about 3 and a half years old, of indeterminate breed (maybe Wyandotte). Her bedding is wood shavings with straw on top for warmth. She seems to be eating.

Thanks for any advice!

As for the muscle flexing in and out, chicken bums tend to just do that
idunno.gif
:
The runny poo is definitely something to keep an eye on, sounds like you're doing a good job!

Try mixing some plain yogurt with some oatmeal and giving it to the whole flock. Sometimes the good bacteria in yogurt will help firm up the stool. I give it to my birds weekly as a treat and probiotic all in one. They love it.

Ok, I'm embarrassed. I never noticed that before.

However, I took a stool sample to the vet today who found cocci. Now I'm trying to figure out how much Corid to give them. I've found 3 different dosages: 2 cc/gal (vet's advice), 4 cc/gal and 10 cc/gal. A post on this site said that 10 cc/gal was for cattle, not chickens. The vet insists the medical standard is 2 cc/gal. Do you think a higher dose would hurt them?

What do you think?

Back
Top Bottom