Hen with severe feather and skin damage - help needed with treatment and integration with flock

Lemur

In the Brooder
May 16, 2024
We recently inherited 5 hens from our neighbor who got rid of her flock. She still has 5 roosters and one hen who are semi feral. The roosters have been abusing the hen and she has severe feather loss and old healing wounds. Otherwise she seems healthy and alert. We were finally able catch and isolate her today and would like to eventually integrate her with our flock.

We will be isolating her near our other girls for a while and hope to get an apron on her to protect her skin. Would appreciate any other advice that might help make her more comfortable and address the feather loss, etc. Pics attached.

Attachments

• PXL_20240516_221756724.jpg
    PXL_20240516_221756724.jpg
    847.1 KB · Views: 37
  • PXL_20240516_232446211~2.jpg
    PXL_20240516_232446211~2.jpg
    538.7 KB · Views: 19
Time and some good basic care of feeding and cleaning the wounds as needed should do the trick. She's definitely beat up by all those roosters.

I'd worry a bit about her staying warm at night (if it's chilly in your area) and possibly even getting a sunburn. Keep an eye on the exposed skin. I'm not sure what topical treatment could help, perhaps a thin layer of pet-safe sunscreen? Maybe some coconut oil to sooth the skin?

Glad she's in better hands!

Aw poor girl! Thank goodness you took her in. I’ve integrated a lone hen before and it was difficult and sad, but so worth it. She wanted so badly to be a part of the flock, but they were a tough crowd. My advice is be patient. Everything is new to her. We let her have a few hours to herself in either the coop, run or “free range” in our yard every morning and every afternoon while the others were in the opposite area. This helped her gain confidence in her surroundings and explore without being picked on. The rest of the day she was in a crate doing the “see not touch” method of integration. I spent a lot, I mean A LOT, of time outside monitoring her and sitting with her while she got used to everyone and her new space. Eventually after a few weeks of this, she would go out to free range with the others and slowly but surely she began to come around them more and more and they would let her get closer and closer. It took about 8-12 weeks for her (and me) to be comfortable enough around them to know she wouldn’t get jumped on. She’s still the lowest in the pecking order, but I still even now see her growing closer to everyone. It was difficult. But so worth it, as I know this will be for you. I agree that I would apply some sort of skin protection to her and ensure she is getting enough protection from the weather. I used A&D ointment (not diaper cream, the ointment) on one of our girls who got feathers plucked out repeatedly in the same area and had irritated skin, it worked well. Good luck on this adventure and thank you for taking her in.

Time and some good basic care of feeding and cleaning the wounds as needed should do the trick. She's definitely beat up by all those roosters.

I'd worry a bit about her staying warm at night (if it's chilly in your area) and possibly even getting a sunburn. Keep an eye on the exposed skin. I'm not sure what topical treatment could help, perhaps a thin layer of pet-safe sunscreen? Maybe some coconut oil to sooth the skin?

Glad she's in better hands!
Thank you. Cold shouldn't be an issue here in GA thank goodness. And she's been sleeping outside in the trees so she should be pretty hardy!

I am concerned about sunburn however. Hoping the apron will help with that if she can tolerate it? Will look into sunscreen and coconut oil options. Would like to bathe her but feel like handling her right now might be uncomfortable. Maybe Epsom salt bath in the future?

Aw poor girl! Thank goodness you took her in. I’ve integrated a lone hen before and it was difficult and sad, but so worth it. She wanted so badly to be a part of the flock, but they were a tough crowd. My advice is be patient. Everything is new to her. We let her have a few hours to herself in either the coop, run or “free range” in our yard every morning and every afternoon while the others were in the opposite area. This helped her gain confidence in her surroundings and explore without being picked on. The rest of the day she was in a crate doing the “see not touch” method of integration. I spent a lot, I mean A LOT, of time outside monitoring her and sitting with her while she got used to everyone and her new space. Eventually after a few weeks of this, she would go out to free range with the others and slowly but surely she began to come around them more and more and they would let her get closer and closer. It took about 8-12 weeks for her (and me) to be comfortable enough around them to know she wouldn’t get jumped on. She’s still the lowest in the pecking order, but I still even now see her growing closer to everyone. It was difficult. But so worth it, as I know this will be for you. I agree that I would apply some sort of skin protection to her and ensure she is getting enough protection from the weather. I used A&D ointment (not diaper cream, the ointment) on one of our girls who got feathers plucked out repeatedly in the same area and had irritated skin, it worked well. Good luck on this adventure and thank you for taking her in.
All great advice. Thank you. Will have to check out the A&D ointment. She will definitely need something to make her more comfortable. She's sadly a bit of a mess right now.

And yes she's absolutely dying to be in there with our other hens. She can see them and interact through the screen all day right now so hopefully that will ease the transition later. Appreciate the help! You must have the patience of a saint! 😉

All great advice. Thank you. Will have to check out the A&D ointment. She will definitely need something to make her more comfortable. She's sadly a bit of a mess right now.

And yes she's absolutely dying to be in there with our other hens. She can see them and interact through the screen all day right now so hopefully that will ease the transition later. Appreciate the help! You must have the patience of a saint! 😉
Anything for a chicken in need lol they’re my weakness. Sounds like she’s in okay spirits for having been through such an ordeal. Are the other hens you adopted from your neighbor her previous flock members?

Yes, A&D ointment is awesome. It contains vitamins A and D to promote natural healing and has a good moisturizing quality and offers skin protection. It’s great for chaffing, too. Aquaphor is probably another good one for your hen. Her skin does look dry, it couldn’t hurt to try something like those out.

Keep us updated on her recovery and integration!

Anything for a chicken in need lol they’re my weakness. Sounds like she’s in okay spirits for having been through such an ordeal. Are the other hens you adopted from your neighbor her previous flock members?

Yes, A&D ointment is awesome. It contains vitamins A and D to promote natural healing and has a good moisturizing quality and offers skin protection. It’s great for chaffing, too. Aquaphor is probably another good one for your hen. Her skin does look dry, it couldn’t hurt to try something like those out.

Keep us updated on her recovery and integration!
Yes they are her previous flock members so hopefully they will remember her. That would make things much easier!

Back
Top Bottom