Hen with soaked underside, mostly sits in the nesting box

Sounds like she might benefit from giving a human calcium tablet with vitamin D 3 orally once a day for a week. Calcium citrate is more easily absorbed with her slow crop problem. If that doesn’t help her egg shells, then her problem may be with her shell gland, or the inflammation of the oviduct (salpingitis) that causes lash eggs. Is she still having the wet drainage from her vent? Several hens who had reproductive issues and died were opened up in a home necropsy. I found ascites (water belly) which causes yellow fluid in the abdomen.

Thank you so much for the insight. I'll definitely start giving her the tablets and see if that helps!

I've checked the nesting box after I see her sit in it, and she hasn't been leaving wet spots in there recently, as she was before the lash egg. The only time I see drainage is when she's pooping, where it usually comes out along with the solids. It's always clear fluid. I'm not sure if this is helpful, but her belly doesn't feel particularly soft/swollen to me. Last night her crop was firmer than it's been, though, so I'm hoping that the daily massages are helping to move things along.

I have powdered calcium carbonate, but it sounds like citrate is easier to absorb, so I'll pick up some tablets on the way home tonight.

Is Citracal Maximum Plus okay? It's calcium citrate, D3, but also contains small amounts of zinc, copper and magnesium. Or should I go with Caltrate 600+D3? Those are my two options for pickup today.

Last edited:
A little update: I found a lash egg on Wednesday and took her to the emergency vet. They found no signs of infection, but an x-ray pulled up two small pieces of metal that she's somehow ingested. 😩 Waiting on the results from lead and zinc tests.

She's acting normal, eating and drinking fine, but she's definitely underweight. Crop is squishy, no unusual smell to her breath or vent area. No green poop anymore, which is good, but it always comes out with clear liquid.

Since the lash egg, she's laid two soft shells. I'm trying to up her calcium intake and get some weight back on her. The vet said to bring her back if there's another lash egg, but didn't recommend any antibiotics or routine changes. Do y'all have any suggestions beyond that? Should I worm her or treat her for gleet? I'm doing everything I can think of to assist her in what she's trying to pass - whether it's an egg, or obstructive items - but I feel like I'm not doing enough to help my girl. 😔
Poor girl. Did the vet mention anything about removing the metal? Do they think she can pass it on her own? I'd guess that metal poisoning is causing the polyuria and possibly also interfering with calcium absorption. Unfortunately birds eating bits of metal is not that uncommon and you can find a number of threads about the issue on here. Hope she recovers ok.

I’m sorry you are going through this. Unfortunately, chances are there is nothing you can do (I was told that too, I tried hard anyway and it didn’t help, but I’m keeping fingers crossed for you). This is not vent gleet — vent gleet is a yeast infection that shows as white (not clear) discharge when looking at the vent. It’s unlikely that worms have anything to do with it. The clear liquid is what I keep seeing when a chicken is trying to clear a blockage in the crop by drinking a lot of water. They would do that even if the blockage is due to egg issues or internal swelling. Give her soft foods like mash, scrambled egg, and cooked grains (rice, quinoa). She might be more willing to eat foods that will be easier on her digestion.

Poor girl. Did the vet mention anything about removing the metal? Do they think she can pass it on her own? I'd guess that metal poisoning is causing the polyuria and possibly also interfering with calcium absorption. Unfortunately birds eating bits of metal is not that uncommon and you can find a number of threads about the issue on here. Hope she recovers ok.
The vet just called me a few minutes ago to say that she does have zinc in her, and they recommended taking her to get surgery at the university's vet school upstate from me. I'm not sure why chelation wasn't mentioned - I thought that would be the first suggestion - but then again, I'm not a vet. :\
I don't have a car and I'm not sure that I can afford surgery, but I'm going to try everything that I possibly can to help my girl. They didn't say whether or not they thought she could pass it on her own. She's certainly trying to, though.

I did find what looks a lot like a roundworm in a soft egg she laid last night. It's too long, meaty (ugh) and hook-shaped to be the chalazae, so I gave her some Safeguard along with a crushed Caltrate +D3 pill. She's been horking out on scrambled eggs, pureed pumpkin and mealworms and putting a little weight back on, and while she does still visit the nesting box, she isn't spending an unusual amount of time in there or leaving any wet spots behind. Her behavior, appetite and energy level are all normal. Crop is empty in the morning, belly isn't swollen, tail is up as usual. I'm really hoping that the consistent calcium supplementation will help her out. :,)

Last edited:
The vet just called me a few minutes ago to say that she does have zinc in her, and they recommended taking her to get surgery at the university's vet school upstate from me. I'm not sure why chelation wasn't mentioned - I thought that would be the first suggestion - but then again, I'm not a vet. :\
I don't have a car and I'm not sure that I can afford surgery, but I'm going to try everything that I possibly can to help my girl. They didn't say whether or not they thought she could pass it on her own. She's certainly trying to, though.

I did find what looks a lot like a roundworm in a soft egg she laid last night. It's too long, meaty (ugh) and hook-shaped to be the chalazae, so I gave her some Safeguard along with a crushed Caltrate +D3 pill. She's been horking out on scrambled eggs, pureed pumpkin and mealworms and putting a little weight back on, and while she does still visit the nesting box, she isn't spending an unusual amount of time in there or leaving any wet spots behind. Her behavior, appetite and energy level are all normal. Crop is empty in the morning, belly isn't swollen, tail is up as usual. I'm really hoping that the consistent calcium supplementation will help her out. :,)
Thanks for the update. Happy to hear she at least seems to be feeling okay...

Let us know how she gets along with or without surgery.

Back
Top Bottom