Hen with sudden alarming weight loss

ShaylaJ

In the Brooder
Jul 7, 2022
Hello! I have a hen (named Connie) that is at least three years old but I'm not entirely sure how old she is. I have noticed that she is alarmingly skinny. I'm not sure why she is like this, I was thinking maybe old age but I don't have enough experience to be sure. She does not have any other symptoms that I have noticed yet, she just looks rough and skinny. I couldn't even find her crop and it is usually easy to find the crops on my other chickens (especially at night which is when I checked her crop).

I would really appreciate some help on figuring out what is wrong with her and how I can help her. Thank you :)

When was the last time she was wormed? And have you checked for mites and lice? Those are just the first things I would check.
Do you see her eating at all? So sorry she is sick.

When was the last time she was wormed? And have you checked for mites and lice? Those are just the first things I would check.
Do you see her eating at all? So sorry she is sick.
We have never wormed her, what is the best way you think we could do that? I checked for mites and lice a few weeks ago and found a few on some of the chicken so we treated all of them. I haven't seen her eating much recently, she mostly just lays with my ducks under shelter but she still walks around normal and doesn't seem lethargic. I tried to feed her some scratch and food by hand yesterday but she would just peck at the pieces and then drop them instead of eating them.

I apologize for the extremely late response. No Connie passed away a few days after my last message. I think it ended up being from old age so she passed peacefully at least.
Thanks for updating your thread.

Back
Top Bottom