Hen with swollen cloaca

sonjap

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 16, 2012
Parker, CO
I have a 6 year old hen who has been standing a bit funny, (upright) occasionally this last week. I brought her in to clean her poopy butt and noticed her cloaca and almost entire rear and below are very swollen. It's not hard though and she pooped so I don't think she's eggbound, but not sure. I did discover mites and have dusted her for that and will be treating the others. This pic doesn't really show it well but am adding it on case it helps.

Attachments

• izzy .jpg
    izzy .jpg
    470 KB · Views: 40
Do you know when she last laid? At 6 years old, with a swollen abdomen, it's likely some kind of reproductive problem and/or organ failure. It can be infection, or cancer, both of which are not uncommon in layers over the age of two. If it feels like fluid, then it's ascites (sometimes called water belly), which is fluid build up in the abdomen from organs that are over worked by disease, like cancer, or failing organs like heart or liver.
The fluid can make them uncomfortable and sometimes makes it hard to breathe, and makes it harder to push droppings out, which is why they will often have poopy vent feathers. It can also affect digestion and crop problems can sometimes be an issue also, from the digestive tract pressure. You can try draining it, but that is not without risks, both of infection or shock if you drain too much too quickly. Draining may make her more comfortable for a time, but it will usually recur since the underlying condition is still there. I generally don't drain, I just leave them with the flock until they are obviously unwell, isolating themselves, go off food and water, or get attacked by flock mates. Then I euthanize.
This is a video on draining the fluid, if you want to try that, there are others if you want to search.

Wow, Thanks so much for the explanation. I've never heard of that before. She is definitely feeling squishy. She just went into a nesting box so I should find out shortly if she does lay. That video is very informative too. I'm not sure I'm brave enough to do the procedure but I'm glad you included it just in case.

Back
Top Bottom