Hen with swollen eyes decides to go broody while sick and the bullying restarts. Ugh.

nminusyplusm

Crowing
Mar 29, 2017
Deming, NM
I have a multifaceted problem and am wondering what else I should do.

My flock of 3 EEs, a Faverolle x Ameruacana and a Welsummer x Cream Legbar olive egger is closed due to CRD, most likely MG as 2 of my 5 have presented with unusual breathing sounds at different times although everyone has been asymptomatic for several months until 2 days ago. They are 14 months old and were raised together.

They live in a 4' x 7' coop with approximately 26 sq ft of cross ventilation. The coop is open at all times to a roofed predator proof 8' x 10' run. Both coop and run have deep litter.

IMG_0462.JPG

IMG_0463.JPG

Last year my olive egger who was second to last in the pecking order went broody and became the target of bullying. At the time it was solved by breaking her and jailing the bully who was #2. The pecking order was slightly reset and #2 and #3, both EEs, switched places.

Since then all has been well except at times the olive egger would go broody or what I'd call pseudobroody-- she would exhibit all the broody behavior (vocalizations, mini-turkey posture, etc.) but she wasn't in a nest box. Also she would continue to lay through it. This would trigger #2 and #3 and they'd go after her, viciously. She had places she could escape to but she preferred staying with the flock so there was a lot of chasing and pecking until she'd snap out of it and start acting nonbroody again. It usually took 1 or 2 days and then it would calm down.

The current situation: the olive egger's eyelids became swollen on Wednesday although her eyes were clear. In the morning she was fine, by the afternoon she looked terrible. I started her on 1.5ml of Tylan 3 times a day. She had a full normal feeling crop at the end of the day. Her poop was normal.

I suspect she is finally presenting with a symptom of the CRD (MG?) in my flock possibly brought on from the stress of the pseudobroody/bullying cycle. If I had the money I'd get it tested but I don't so I have to go with my best guess for now.

On Thursday she seemed worse, was listless and uninterested in food on her own but decided to start acting pseudobroody (or prebroody?). I hand fed her some wet cat food and fresh sorrel (a favorite). She wouldn't eat scrambled egg and seemed uninterested in anything else. Her poop was watery. Her crop didn't have much in it at the end of the day.

Today she's been acting full on broody, wanting to sit on a nest but also slightly more active. Just like the previous 2 days, she laid an egg. I've pulled her out to hand feed her more wet cat food and sorrel. She also ate some mash made from feed (Purina flock raiser). I saw that she ate and drank on her own a bit. Her eyelids look slightly less swollen. Eyes continue to be clear. Her crop feels fuller than yesterday but nowhere near normal for her. I have not been able to see her poop today.

IMG_0468.JPG

She's exiled herself to the nest box and just standing in the coop, switching between the 2, so at least the bullying has stopped (unless she goes downstairs to the run where she's either chased to a perch in the run or back to the coop). In the coop she's set up with fresh water and an assortment of food (flock raiser mash, BOSS, sorrel, fresh goji berries). Everyone else's feed and water is below in the run.

I don't want to break her right now as she's already completely stressed out. I'm getting Nutri-Drench tonight.

The weather has been in the 100s but that's normal for here in June and there's been no indication of heat stress. They have plenty of shade, areas where the litter has been watered and some frozen treats.

They've all been roosting normally and together too. We'll see what happens tonight though...

Is there anything else I should try?

I wonder if you've considered the fact that broody hens eat very little during the time they're broody, and that puts a big strain on their bodies. A sick hen needs all the nourishment she can get to fight off bacteria. A broody hen, already being food deprived, won't have the daily infusion of calories and nutrients necessary for her body to assist the antibiotic in fighting off the invading bacteria associated with CRD. I'm in complete agreement with you that your hen is likely CRD symptomatic.

Breaking her is what I would do. The stress associated with it isn't nearly what the strain on her body that trying to fight off an infection while not eating would be. And you would risk having her not recover. I wouldn't be willing to take that risk myself.

Please reconsider breaking her.

I wonder if you've considered the fact that broody hens eat very little during the time they're broody, and that puts a big strain on their bodies. A sick hen needs all the nourishment she can get to fight off bacteria. A broody hen, already being food deprived, won't have the daily infusion of calories and nutrients necessary for her body to assist the antibiotic in fighting off the invading bacteria associated with CRD. I'm in complete agreement with you that your hen is likely CRD symptomatic.

Breaking her is what I would do. The stress associated with it isn't nearly what the strain on her body that trying to fight off an infection while not eating would be. And you would risk having her not recover. I wouldn't be willing to take that risk myself.

Please reconsider breaking her.
Yes, the fact that she's broody and doesn't want to eat has been my main worry. I might try it tomorrow and see how getting food into her goes while in the breaker cage. It's just that she gets so freaked out in there that in the past she'd eat nothing at all.

Today I was able to get her to eat several good sized meals while holding her in my lap so it was a significant improvement compared to yesterday. Her crop had a decent amount of food in it by day's end and her interest in food had increased even though she was broodier.

Tonight she chose to roost on the perch in front of the nests and I let her stay there. I don't know... I feel like I need to keep monitoring her moment by moment and adjust based on whatever conditions are most conducive to keeping her eating.

This morning after pulling her out of the nest she ate a good portion of wet cat food on her own and I then put her in the breaker with water, mash and more cat food. Maybe because she's not feeling well, she did not panic that much. Thanks for your advice, azygous!
ETA: she's eating banana while in the breaker. Good call, azygous!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom