Hen with swollen toe

Cocohens

Chirping
May 14, 2020
Hi there,

I have a hen with a swollen toe. It’s not bumble foot as there is no black spot anywhere on foot etc. She is in good spirits and has been eating and drinking and trotting about as normal. The only difference is she seems to be holding her foot up every now and then. I will attach pictures.. any advice would be great. Thanks!

Attachments

• 6440910C-9DD3-4859-8C85-14C163E931A0.jpeg
    6440910C-9DD3-4859-8C85-14C163E931A0.jpeg
    350.9 KB · Views: 19
What does the underside look like?

She may have fractured/broken it or suffered some type of injury. Since she's moving about, trotting as normal, etc. and you see no signs of infection/cuts/inflammation or something wrapped around the toe, then I would be inclined to just leave it alone and just monitor it if she were mine.
Sounds like she is probably self limiting a bit if she's holding it up. Chickens will do that.
If you notice it getting worse, her behavior changes, etc. then revisit it.

What does the underside look like?

She may have fractured/broken it or suffered some type of injury. Since she's moving about, trotting as normal, etc. and you see no signs of infection/cuts/inflammation or something wrapped around the toe, then I would be inclined to just leave it alone and just monitor it if she were mine.
Sounds like she is probably self limiting a bit if she's holding it up. Chickens will do that.
If you notice it getting worse, her behavior changes, etc. then revisit it.
The underside is just as normal. Have had a good look and can’t see anything abnormal. I will leave it alone for a few days and hope the swelling goes down etc. Thank you so much for the reply and your valued help!
Coco x

Back
Top Bottom