hen with tail down *** Update still down but not egg bound... HELP!

AHappychick

Wanna-be Farmer
11 Years
Dec 16, 2008
westchester
Just went to check on them. Did not notice the hen doing that earlier today. I have been writting this post in parts and it has been 1/2 hour since I started it and I just checked hen her tail is still down.

Update: her tail is stil down, I massaged, looked for egg bound (cant feel anything) and otherwise she seems fine. I put oil on her vent, gonna try a warm bath later but have to deal with ds for the next few hours. Could this be a symptom of something else???

Last edited:
Have you looked at some of the threads on "egg-bound"??

Have you felt the hen? Does it feel like she has an egg in progress?

You might want to follow some of the threads on putting the hen into a warm bath and then putting some oil in her vent.

Good Luck!!
hugs.gif

Cindy
frow.gif

looked at her vent twice once before posting seemed normal (forgot to mention) and then again, I cant feel any egg, but I put some oil on her vent. I even checked some of the other ladies for comparison but all seemed normal. After her "rub-down" I put her back with the others and she finally raised her tail and pecked a bit. I looked her over fully she seems to be in great shape maybe she was just in a mood???

oh and after reading dozens of posts I found enough comparisons that I am not going to worry just yet.
fl.gif

ok I have her seperated and eating bread soaked with olive oil and now her tail is back up. I checked for the 4th time to see if I could feel and egg, but i cant. I can see her vent contracting and relaxing over and over. After she eats and my ds is in school I will try the warm bath.

Really any suggestions would be helpful.

Her tail is back down!!!!!

Ok I have done the warm bath still no change, how much time should I give it???

Could someone please answer. How much time should I give it before panicing?? She seems alert, eyes clear, not sick, no bugs, cant feel or see egg, ahe is eating and drinking. Vent looks normal

Please I am not sure of what else to do, she is a great bird, and taking her to a vet that specializes in chickens is VERY hard for me and the closest one is over an hour away.

I would give her some oil with a syringe without the needle directly into her mouth. I used cooking oil and the next day my hen seemed okay. She was droopy, uninterested in eating and I did not know anything about egg bound (even though I was raised on a farm with poultry) except what I had read on this site a long time ago.(I have not been on for awhile) She recovered.

I hope your little hen recovers. She is so pretty.

Joyce

Back
Top Bottom