Hen with very swollen face

beachbunny76

In the Brooder
Jul 12, 2022
Hen was broody for several weeks, was squished at the bottom of the nest box with two other hens on top of her. Started swelling in the face about 3 wks ago. Combs and wattles swelled first, now the eyes.In this last week or so, the black sores began appearing and appear to be like fowlpox. I’ve had fowlpox in my flock in the last year. This hen didn’t get it at that time. But it was never this bad w/the others. I’ve never seen a chickens head swell like this from fowlpox. I’ve scoured this site and online to see what else it could be, and nothing fits the bill. She is eating and drinking. She is sometimes lethargic, napping for a few min here and there throughout the day, but she does forage and run around. I’m stumped. Fowl cholera popped up in my searches but she does not fit the symptoms other than the swelling. She is not having any respiratory distress or issues.
I started Tylan50 yesterday in the event it’s bacterial and not fowl pox or it is something in conjunction with fowlpox. I know nothing will treat the fowlpox. But I’m really concerned about the swelling it’s getting worse and worse now every day. Also putting Terramycin on eyes. Is there anything I can give this poor girl for the swelling? Has anyone seen anything like this?! What am I dealing with here?
She’s the only one like this. TIA

Pics from today 3/7:

Attachments

• IMG_1892.jpeg
    IMG_1892.jpeg
    256.7 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1885.jpeg
    IMG_1885.jpeg
    501.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1887.jpeg
    IMG_1887.jpeg
    439.9 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
It does look like she has fowl pox. She may or may not have MG as well, but I would keep treating her with the Tylosin for 5 days. I would just make sure that she is getting plenty to eat. If you have Terramycin eye ointment I would apply it to her eye twice a day. Let us know how she gets along.

It does look like she has fowl pox. She may or may not have MG as well, but I would keep treating her with the Tylosin for 5 days. I would just make sure that she is getting plenty to eat. If you have Terramycin eye ointment I would apply it to her eye twice a day. Let us know how she gets along.
Ok will do! Thank you very much!

Unfortunately she passed yesterday😭 Both her eyes were affected by the foul pox that she could just barely see out of one of them. My sweet girl tried to eat but she couldn’t see the food very well. I syringe fed her but she wouldn’t eat much. She got very lethargic and always wanted to sleep in the last few days. I think the only thing I could’ve done to save her was tube feed her. Heart breaking 💔

Attachments

• IMG_2027.jpeg
    IMG_2027.jpeg
    342.1 KB · Views: 8
I'm so sorry about your sweet girl. It's so hard to love these little creatures with all your heart and lose one. You did what you could. My heart goes out to you. Know she's no longer suffering and hope you can have some solace in that.

Back
Top Bottom