Hen with weird discharge. Help!

acid_chipmunk

Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!
9 Years
Mar 29, 2010
Tonight DH and I were giving our hens some mealworms for a treat and we decided to take a look at Goldie's (our GPH) butt. We have a feather picker in our coop, so we figured the missing feathers were from that. She has no blood, no redness, but some of the feathers around her butt are gone and it doesn't look like they are even trying to grow back. Also, when DH was looking at her, he noticed a weird discharge. It almost looks like she has a yeast infection (gross thought I know, but I don't know how else to describe it). Can anyone tell me what this may be and if I need to keep her away from my other birds? She is just a year old and has been laying her egg a day all week, so I don't think she is egg bound. My girls eat Flock Raiser with some scratch thrown in and they also free range all day. None of my other 5 girls have this problem.

Please help!
barnie.gif

Would we see the worms when looking at her? I didn't see any last night, just the white "goo". She has been acting normal keeping right up with my other hens. As I said, she is the only one with this problem. Should I throw out the eggs that she layed this week?

I will get DH to catch her again when he gets home from work and see if I can get a pic.

Back
Top Bottom