Hen with Wounded Eye

FarmerNeusch

In the Brooder
Nov 7, 2022
We have a 5 mo old hen that has an eye problem. We first noticed about 1 1/2 weeks ago where she wasn't opening one eye. Then a few days later it had some goop (clear to cream color) in it. It is swollen below the eye (some days worse than others). For the last week we have been rinsing with saline and applying neosporin (although don't know how much is actually getting in the affected part of eye). It is only one eye - other eye is perfect. She is eating and drinking. No respiratory symptoms. Local vets don't see chickens. What should we do? Thanks in advance for any suggestions you may have.

Attachments

• 60542.jpeg
    60542.jpeg
    65 KB · Views: 24
  • 60541.jpeg
    60541.jpeg
    65.6 KB · Views: 3
You're doing all the right things. The only thing you still need to do is clean the pus out of the eye by dipping a cotton ball in saline and wiping the pus out or peeling it off the eye if it's formed a dry skin. That will allow the antibiotic ointment to work better on the infection.

You're doing all the right things. The only thing you still need to do is clean the pus out of the eye by dipping a cotton ball in saline and wiping the pus out or peeling it off the eye if it's formed a dry skin. That will allow the antibiotic ointment to work better on the infection.
Today it looks worse than ever. That eye is huge. I can't tell if it is the actual eyeball swollen or goop on the eye. I can't find a vet that will see chickens and I am scared to do anything that might make it worse.

Attachments

• 20221108_181135.jpg
    20221108_181135.jpg
    290.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 20221108_181120.jpg
    20221108_181120.jpg
    332.2 KB · Views: 3
You need to remove that pus. Not removing it will risk her losing that eye.
This chicken rearin' isn't for the faint of heart. I will try that method. Do you think it is coryza? She has no other symptoms. No respiratory symptoms, is eating drinking and pooping ok. Also, from the video, is the pus in the eye ball, behind the eye ball, etc. Im not quite understanding where it is. I am so sorry for being so stupid on this. Thank you so much for your patience.

The eyeball is firmly anchored in its socket. To pop an eyeball out, you'd have to gouge your thumb or finger into the socket, under the eye. You will just be exerting gentle pressure around the edge of the eye to push the pus out.

Whether or not it's coryza or a bacterial eye infection or a common respiratory disease, the treatment is the same. Clean out the pus thoroughly and rinse with saline and then use an antibiotic ointment in the eye twice a day.

Back
Top Bottom