Hen won't lay after molt

Flock Master64

Crowing
Jul 24, 2016
Surrounded by the Amish
Hello!
I have a White Leghorn hen about 1 1/2 years old and about a week ago she just got finished with her molt. I know leghorns usually lay during molting but this was her first molt ever so I thought since it was her first time dealing with a molt so I didn't think I'd get many eggs. It's been a good month since I've gotten any eggs from her at all. I don't know what to do.

Molts can take 6 to 8 weeks and unfortunately they generally fall into the same time frame as the days getting shorter. The shorter days mean they don't receive enough light to kick them back into gear. Give her some time and she will lay again.

I have a BR that laid almost an egg every day. She started a molt this summer and hasn't laid since, at least 3 or4 months.
Can't rush biology, just keep her well fed and she will start when she's ready.
Also, coming off a molt this late in the year, with the days shortening, she might not lay until they start to lengthen again in Spring.

15% grower/finisher feed, I have 2 pullets and a cockerel that I'm keeping in with my 4 hens so just to keep it simple I feed them all the same feed. The pullets are about to get off the grower and on the layer feed as soon as I use of all the current grower/finisher feed

Once they are ready to lay, my pullets. I'm going to give them an all purpose feed for the whole flock since cockerel and roosters don't need layer feed and too much calcium can hurt them and I'm going to fill my small feeder with oyster shells for the hens and pullets if they need some extra calcium

Since you have laying hens that are of age you need to be providing them oyster shell if you are not feeding a layer feed. Could be her body is lacking the calcium to produce egg shells.

Back
Top Bottom