Hen won't lay after molt

Finisher is a lower protein feed intended to control the rapid growth of Cornish Cross. It's too low in protein for most growing/developing birds. The birds that are of laying age need a source of calcium.

I personally feed all of our eggshells back to the hens in a feeder free choice. It would be a good option you have until you can get oyster shell

Switch your hens to a higher protein feed. They aren't quite getting enough. Something with 18-20% is better.

Most will quit laying in the fall to molt and recover. It takes a few months for most hens. The earliest I have had hens resume laying is December and some won't resume until early spring around February. The more drained your hen, the longer her recovery period, so it can greatly help to feed something with a higher protein than layer ration has so they don't become deficient. I recommend a non medicated grower or an All Flock ration, You can set out a separate bowl of oyster shells for the extra calcium needs.

I give mine a few kibbles of dog food each day when I feed the dog. They like it. Also, I'm feeding all my hens Feather Fixer, and have crushes egg shell and oyster shell available.

Back
Top Bottom