hens aren't using their new run.....ideas?

Brooklinechicks

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 22, 2008
Hi all,

I've had the hen house and a small run inside my garage for a year, long story having to do with accomodating the zoning board. Now that we've finally completed a beautiful run, attached to the garage so they can get in and out a window, they are not using it. Well, not entirely true....one hen, the speckled sussex, Jackie O, goes in and out. The others love it out there when I've tossed them through the window, and find their way back in at dark. Do the rest need more time? I've tried luring them out with treats, bringing their food out (I'm not allowed to leave it out all the time - again town regulations), various ramps, and can't think what else might help. Any ideas and advice will be appreciated....including my need to be more patient (but if that's all I can do, how long might I have to wait for them to find the wonders of outdoors again). Thanks for everything.

A Brookline Chick with the first ladies of the white (hen) house...Jackie O, Lady Bird, and Mamie.

I moved mine outside a week ago. I have 3-4 that love it out side. I think the others don't like the wind blowing their feathers. LOL I give treats only outside and this draws them out! Some stay longer than others but I have noticed a few new faces out side before I get there. I time they will figure out it is ok to be out and it is safe! I think they just need time to re adjust and figure things out.

Good Luck and God Bless!

Your town regulations seem odd.
idunno.gif

Id just give them some more time. when we finally opened up the door from our coop to the yard, the chickens would just stand there and look out but it took a couple days for them to actually come out.
D.gif

Last edited:
Thanks for the thoughts...here's a little more clarity. I was granted a special permit to keep the hens, thus their home in the garage with the attached (through the window) beautiful run. I finished the run several weeks ago and can leave the window open for them from early morning to evening. I've been doing this, with a ramp from outside in, and several different attempts at setting up a ramp from inside to outside. They've yet to make real use of any of the ramps I've set up, but love it out there. I do show them treats, leave them on the window sill, and in the run. I'll stop offering them anything special inside. They will stay out all day, fly to the window when startled to go in, and come to me so I can place them on the window sill (or toss them out). Has anyone found particular specs for ramps? I'm guessing that is what the problem is, so I want to build one with the expectation that it will meet their needs. Silly girls, they'll be so much happier when they learn they can go in and out.

The only specs I use for my ramp situations is at least 9 inches wide, if not 12, and a bit of wood lathe (or 1x1 furring strip) nailed every 8 or 9 inches. And not too much of an incline.

My chickens took a long time to figure out what ramps were for. But after one got it, then the others gradually learned how to use 'em.

I would sprinkle a little chicken crack (aka scratch) on the ramp so they are forced to walk on the ramp to get it. If your ramp is smooth with no place to catch the goodies, I would nail on those small wooden bars the chickens could use as mini perches as they gobble up all the crack-I mean scratch...

Ramps that are both steep and smooth are harder for them to use. How long have you had the new set up? It usually takes chickens a little while to get used to changes. If you have one doing it successfully, the others should eventually follow her, especially with bribes.

Back
Top Bottom