Hen's comb ripped. Then dubbed by herself? Can't stop bleeding.

smudge

Songster
8 Years
Mar 20, 2013
Long Island, NY
Found my 4 year old on the roost, bloody. Suspect the cockerel is at fault.

Should the usual attempts at clean up + Neosporin be enough? Is he doing this because she's old and not laying? Should I isolate the brat for a few days? I already have his favorite hen in isolation recovering from a broken leg (my bad, trying to catch her to treat bumblefoot), so I'm already stressed. ARgh!

IMG_0950.JPG
IMG_0950.JPG
IMG_0948.JPG
IMG_0949.JPG

ouch.
Is eating the rooster an option?

Keeping her clean with neosporin with out pain reliever is a great idea.

Hadn't planned on eating him, and he's been generally people friendly. But he's going to find himself isolated tomorrow.

The annoying part is that this happened not in the run, but while they were free ranging, and she generally avoids him.

She's isolated at my neighbor's for tonight. If she were human I'd bandage the wound... not quite possible on a hen's head!

I was going to dub her when I got home from my kid's swimming lesson, only to find she tore it off herself. We're trying to stop the bleeding, what a mess. We've tried corn starch and flour. She is able to breathe a little better now that we've gotten the blood out of her nostrils. She is very sad looking. :he

Well she's still with us... The remaining comb is healing nicely, but the skin is slow...

I'll spare you the photos for the moment.

It's been difficult maintaining cleanliness... since every time she grooms herself she transfers Neosporin or lanolin elsewhere... And the bluekote sticks best to feathers.

Poor girl looks a mess. Other than her head wound, she seems healthy - and acts healthy, and peeved that she can't spend her days dust bathing, thank you. I wish my 11 month old pullets had as healthy coloring as her wattles/ear lobes/truncated comb!

I've started putting her in a shaded play pen on the grass during the day. The other 4 year old drops by several times a day.

Back
Top Bottom