Hens eating eggs - this is a long story.

Have you considered roll away nestboxes? Doesn't fix any base issues if there are any but takes the eggs out of the equation.

I don't have a way to add those, but removing one of the hens solved the problem, I haven't added the leghorn back in and no one is eating eggs, not even the hen who is isolated right now.

I think the 2 older girls just don't like each other 🤦‍♀️🤷‍♀️

Tomorrow I am going to put the leghorn in with a different flock and see if she starts up again. Hopefully they can be happy in different flocks 🤞

I do not know is this makes a difference, all the birds came from tractor supply. The young ones are sapphire gems, the older 2 one is a barred Plymouth rock the other is a longhorn.
My 5 are from TSC too. No egg eating. Although they did tell my i was buying black sex links when they all are obviously Gold laced wyanottes.

Attachments

• 6A0ED3CD-5E30-4362-8D5F-DBC07A0D39F6.jpeg
    6A0ED3CD-5E30-4362-8D5F-DBC07A0D39F6.jpeg
    666.2 KB · Views: 3
I've read that hanging curtains in the nest boxes making them darker inside has helped other people. Since the chickens can't see in the dark they don't eat the eggs. Do they have enough space for the amount of chickens that you have? In a coop 4sq feet per bird for average size is recommended and 10sq ft per bird in the run. Are they getting enough protein?

Back
Top Bottom