Hens egg died.

TSW99

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 7, 2014
Tallahassee Fl
My broody hen was sitting on one duck egg and I only put her on one because I really don't need any more birds lol.
anyways I checked broodys egg today and it had pipped (today is day 26). As I just went out there to check again I found the baby had died and I opened the egg to see any signs as to why it died and every was fine it just didn't absorb the yolk yet so I don't know what went wrong? (And yes I was completely shore that the egg had died before I opened it) I feel terrible for the little baby and the mother.
So my question is will the mother continue to sit on a diffrent egg to hatch it? Because I showed her another egg an she tucked under her and started sitting on it. I wouldn't want another incubation process to effect the health of the mother hen ether.
Any advice would be appreciated as to what I should do For the mother hen?
Thanks.

Last edited:
My broody hen was sitting on one duck egg and I only put her on one because I really don't need any more birds lol.
anyways I checked broodys egg today and it had pipped (today is day 26). As I just went out there to check again I found the baby had died and I opened the egg to see any signs as to why it died and every was fine it just didn't absorb the yolk yet so I don't know what went wrong? (And yes I was completely shore that the egg had died before I opened it) I feel terrible for the little baby and the mother.
So my question is will the mother continue to sit on a diffrent egg to hatch it? Because I showed her another egg an she tucked under her and started sitting on it. I wouldn't want another incubation process to effect the health of the mother hen ether.
Any advice would be appreciated as to what I should do For the mother hen?
Thanks.

Many hens will continue to brood until the eggs hatch. Others, like my silkies, quit after four weeks and start over. Brooding a while longer should not effect the hen's health overmuch.

Thank you nchls school for your reply.
well I guess I will let her keep her new egg, hopefully with better luck this time.

Thank you nchls school for your reply.
well I guess I will let her keep her new egg, hopefully with better luck this time.

You're welcome. Normally there is not a problem, but do watch her health closely as WalnutHill is correct, two 4 week stretches at brooding is a long time on the nest and there is a possibility that the hen's health could be affected.

Was it a newly-laid egg you let her have?  If so, sitting another four weeks could very well be bad for her health.

oh I didn't even see your post.
yes it is a newly laid egg,
well I might keep her on the eggs for a little while then switch them to my incubator to relieve her.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom