Hens egg

Kirstyaa

In the Brooder
12 Years
Apr 6, 2007
Suffolk, England
One of our hens has been sitting on an egg, i dont know how long for, we just realised yesterday when we realised one of the chickens was missing from their coop- so maybe not very long?

Today she got off it and is wondering around the garden, my little sister went down and brought it to the house saying the hen had got off it, but it was still a little warm. Realising this probably wasn't the smartest thing to do i told her to put it back.

The hen obviously has to get up to eat and drink, and as she is seperated from the rest of the chickens they can't take turns to sit on it. It could already be dead i dont know, but i dont know what to do as the hen is kind of pacing the edges of the coop as if she wants to get back in. We dont have any nesting boxes so i can't really move the egg back in there. (the chickens usually just lay in the corner and lay, and have sat on eggs long enough to produce chicks before - however we will shortly be building a new coop in another part of the garden so that it will be bigger, i will suggest nesting boxes when we get to that!)

Do i let her back in, and get rid of the egg? I dont have an incubator so i cant take the egg either. It just seems kind of gross to me that the egg could have the beginning of a chick inside!

There is another possibility since you just noticed her missing, she might need to lay an egg and wants back to her spot. To the possibility that she is broody do whatever works best for you, if she's broody she's going to sit unless you break her out of it.

I think Kirstyaa meant that the hen wants back in with the other chickens, Right? In that case she is not wanting to sit any more. Not much you can do I don't guess. I am no expert though. Someone might have a suggestion. She may have just been resting after laying when you found her? Hope it works out for you.

Marie

Thanks for your reply marie, yes that's what i meant. I just put her back in the coop in the end later in the afternoon after i was sure she was done sitting on it. Chickens are funny things, maybe she changed her mind
smile.png

Your welcome. Sorry I could not be of much help. I have just started with chickens myself. I have a lot to learn and experience and I will be asking a ton more questions. I am sure she will be broody in no time.

Marie

Back
Top Bottom