Hen's Eggs Are Different Colors?

Somebody better tell my girls they aren't all Easter Eggers then.
th.gif

Pearl lays large to extra large blue eggs. No beard, no muff, lighter green legs than the others.

Agatha, large blue eggs. Muffed, bearded, dark green legs.

Daphne, lays medium to large blue eggs. No muff, no beard, legs very light green.

Mathilda, medium to large blue eggs. Heavy beard, heavy muffs, dark green legs.

Gladys, small to medium blue eggs. Heavy muff, very little beard, dark green legs.

No two combs are exactly alike, but their eggs are! If it weren't for knowing which nest each one uses and the fact that so far only a couple are laying large eggs consistently, I wouldn't have a clue which eggs came from which girl. I think they didn't read the book.
Not all EE's have muffs/beards, but most have the green legs and some form of pea comb(which indicates a blue egg gene) but it depends on what the cross was and with hatchery chicks you'll probably never know what the cross was. The possibilities of the genetic crosses are almost endless, feathering patterns, facial feathering, comb modifications etc and egg color can be anything from white to brown to pink to blue to green to olive to gray. Ameraucanas have 2 blue egg genes, if we're lucky EE's have one.

I got 2 hatchery EE's this spring and both lay rather pale blue eggs(to my delight) and both have green legs, muffs and larger modified pea combs, I think they were from a white egg layer cross, thus the larger combs and blue eggs rather than green (green eggs more likely to come from a cross with a brown egg layer). I have another EE that I hatched from a brown egg layer(we think an amberlink) and an EE roo, she lays a blue to green to olive/gray egg depending on how her spray booth is working that day, but the egg base color is blue because one blue egg gene passed down indicated by a pea comb and if you peel off the inner membrane off the egg shell you can see the blue egg base.

The details of the genetics are confounding to me, I only know the very tiny tip of that iceberg....sorry for the ramble on your thread ajamichelle.

Not all EE's have muffs/beards, but most have the green legs and some form of pea comb(which indicates a blue egg gene) but it depends on what the cross was and with hatchery chicks you'll probably never know what the cross was. The possibilities of the genetic crosses are almost endless, feathering patterns, facial feathering, comb modifications etc and egg color can be anything from white to brown to pink to blue to green to olive to gray. Ameraucanas have 2 blue egg genes, if we're lucky EE's have one.

I got 2 hatchery EE's this spring and both lay rather pale blue eggs(to my delight) and both have green legs, muffs and larger modified pea combs, I think they were from a white egg layer cross, thus the larger combs and blue eggs rather than green (green eggs more likely to come from a cross with a brown egg layer). I have another EE that I hatched from a brown egg layer(we think an amberlink) and an EE roo, she lays a blue to green to olive/gray egg depending on how her spray booth is working that day, but the egg base color is blue because one blue egg gene passed down indicated by a pea comb and if you peel off the inner membrane off the egg shell you can see the blue egg base.

The details of the genetics are confounding to me, I only know the very tiny tip of that iceberg....sorry for the ramble on your thread ajamichelle.
Good answer!! To me that's the fun and beauty of Easter Eggers....the variety of traits is astounding and that makes it really hard to declare that they are "always" this or that. I was kinda hoping that at least one of mine would give me a nice green egg, but I think in order to get that with more certainty I'm going to have to get an Olive Egger or two, since mine all lay blue. One of the first eggs I got from Agatha looked like it was a greenish blue, but subsequent eggs have all been blue.

I have a total of 7 ee's, well one is a wheaten ameracuna lol.

They are all laying now, Agnes and Gertrude lay blue blue eggs, and Daisy a lighter blue egg. Josephine my clean faced non pea comb ee lays pinkish brown eggs. Bessie another clean faced ee but with a pea comb lays very round very pale blue eggs and Missy lays lt olive green eggs with brown speckles sometimes.

The roo I have covering them is salmon favorelle x wellsummer x light brahma with terracotta egg laying genes and is feather footed, bearded, tufted. I asked santa for incubators for Christmas. So the babies should be very interesting. I see olive eggers in my future lol.

The bird in the picture looks like my EE. She is very tall, has a snakelike neck but not much of a beard or muffs to speak of. She laid her first egg the other day - a beautiful olive green egg.

Back
Top Bottom