Hens Going To Be Babysat For a Couple Weeks

mkeawsh

Woody Hollow
15 Years
Sep 23, 2007
Beaufort, MO
I have a friend that has nine hens (roos are not allowed) and she is going on vacation. She is going to leave them with a woman that has a very large flock that free-ranges. The woman has a couple rooster that she has in separate pens that do not free-range and is going to put my friend's nine hens in with these roosters. She is worried that it will change the personality or disposition of her very calm, low-key hens being put in with the roos. I know that one of her hens is the dominant leader of the flock and was wondering if the alpha hen would be fighting with the roos.
If there is any possibility to change the disposition of her hens, she does not want to leave them there for the two weeks. What would anyone suggest she do if there would be an issue?

Well the biggest problem i would worry about is the hens picking something up from the other flock whether it be a disease or parasites. And yes, the hen most likely will fight with the roos. Also that seems like a high ratio of roos to hens!

I'm not sure if she is putting them all in one enclosure with one roo. I'll have to ask. I also will tell her of the concern catching an illness.

There personality will likely change. I would ask her to keep my hens separate if it were me. I would also worry about my birds catching something from her birds.

Doesn't she know someone that could come to her place to feed them & collect the eggs instead of having to move them?
I would be greatly concerned about potentially spreading disease. Bacteria can be spread on shoes or coop-cleaning equipment. And also if her flock had previously free-ranged on the area that her flock will be grazing on.

Back
Top Bottom