Hens is pecking the Heck out of my other hens HELP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Egglayer123

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 16, 2012
Ireland
One of my older hens is pecking at the others and i thnk she gna severly hurt them, i had her in a different pen 4 a while but she was able to see the other hens and i let them free range 2 gether but put her back in her seperate pen at night! i just recently put her in with the other hens as i thought she would be ok, she was grand 4 the first 2 days but shes has started it all again!! any ideas on what i can do??
Would much appriciate
Thanks
(Excuses my spelling :/)

~Edited by staff to remove profanity from title--remember we are a family-friendly forum, please.

Last edited by a moderator:
How old are the birds concerned?

She's trying to fight her way to the top of the pecking order. It's normal and the behaviour should subside once an order is in place. How bad is the damage?

the hens being pecked are about 22 weeks and she would be about a year old in august. Yea its geting bad shes making them draw blood, its mostly on the crown of the other hens!!!
aloght another hen the same age as the one pecking would peck the feathers off her and eat them :/ any way of preventing this blood bath??!!!!
Thanks

I would remove the bully to another area where she can't see the rest of the chickens and keep her isolated for at least a week. Hopefully by this time she will be unfamiliar to them, and as a new chicken, at the bottom of the pecking order. Frankly, if that didn't work, I'd get rid of her.

It's possible that if you gave her to someone with an established flock, she would not bully anyone, she'd be at the bottom of that pecking order.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom