Hens laying everyplace but nesting boxes

Zoom Zoom

Songster
6 Years
Mar 15, 2014
Rolla, MO
I hope someone has a solution to my problem, I'm at a loss on what to do. I have three hens, a 7 yr old RIR and two 3 yr old BOs. My RIR continues to give me an egg two to three times a week, in the nesting box. But one BO was laying in one of my large planters and the other was laying between lattice and the house foundation. I had to use a grabber to get it out. Now both are laying someplace else in the yard. I've searched everywhere but can't find them, haven't found an egg in four days. They are not molting. I have fake eggs in the nesting boxes but they aren't getting the hint. They free range all day. I thought about keeping them in the run until they start using the nesting boxes but it is so hot that I hate to keep them locked in although they have a large run, half of it is under roof. If my RIR wasn't using the nesting box I would think maybe a snake or something had been in the coop. That happened last summer and all three refused to go into the coop until I cleaned and put in new bedding. Does anyone have suggestions on what I can do to convince my fluffy little girls that they have to start using the nesting boxes? Thanks

Do they have a time of day when they lay normally? Because you could keep an eye on them and when the show signs of needing to lay, catch them and put them in their nest boxes until they get the idea.

I hope someone has a solution to my problem, I'm at a loss on what to do. I have three hens, a 7 yr old RIR and two 3 yr old BOs. My RIR continues to give me an egg two to three times a week, in the nesting box. But one BO was laying in one of my large planters and the other was laying between lattice and the house foundation. I had to use a grabber to get it out. Now both are laying someplace else in the yard. I've searched everywhere but can't find them, haven't found an egg in four days. They are not molting. I have fake eggs in the nesting boxes but they aren't getting the hint. They free range all day. I thought about keeping them in the run until they start using the nesting boxes but it is so hot that I hate to keep them locked in although they have a large run, half of it is under roof. If my RIR wasn't using the nesting box I would think maybe a snake or something had been in the coop. That happened last summer and all three refused to go into the coop until I cleaned and put in new bedding. Does anyone have suggestions on what I can do to convince my fluffy little girls that they have to start using the nesting boxes? Thanks
I've had the same problem in the past. I would say keep them locked up until they lay in the boxes-either for a few days or maybe let them out after everybody has laid their eggs each day or you could put fake eggs in the planter or new spot if you don't mind collecting them there.

I haven't noticed a regular laying pattern. I've been checking their whereabouts every 30 mins and always find all three together either under the back porch or their favorite lilac bush. This is just so mysterious.

I check there frequently. It is high enough that I can see under it. They have found a good hidey hole! I'm going to keep them in the run starting tomorrow but will feel cruel.

Thank you all. I apologized to them in advance when I locked them up this evening. I hope this doesn't take long.

I check there frequently. It is high enough that I can see under it. They have found a good hidey hole! I'm going to keep them in the run starting tomorrow but will feel cruel.
Oh, they'll be fine...might be crabby tho.
Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

Hopefully they have good shade in there.
Give them a pan and an ice chunk.
BIG(9x14x2") chunks of ice last all day for wading, sitting, and sipping.
Much more useful to the chickens than frozen foods and treats.
full

Back
Top Bottom