Hens left eye looks gross and is starting to pop out of skull

FloweredHemlock

In the Brooder
Sep 27, 2023
I noticed a little bit ago one of my hens wasn't opening her eye. I washed it off and she opened it and it looked fine, then she kept doing it. I checked again a few days later and it was grey and cloudy. I immediately isolated her and checked the others, they were fine and continue to be so. I continues to monitor her and I've tried researching. I was terrified it was merrick, that was the first thing to pop up. I got a spray and tried treating it on my own, hoping it was an eye infection. My family members who looked into it said it was probably an eye infection and I started treating it as such. I noticed she was opening her eye and thought she was getting better but now I can see her eye is trying to leave her skull and I no longer know what to do. I don't have the money for a vet and other hen her eye she seems to be fine, eats, drinks, when not in the isolation cage she's active like she was before. I try to keep her as comfortable as possible but I don't have a lot of resources and I've got chicks I need to move cages but she's in the cage I usually use for when the babies get bigger but can't go outside yet. What's wrong with her and how can I help her? If her eye.... Falls out, how do I keep the socket from getting dirty and infected? Is there anything I can do? I really don't want to put her down. She's around 5-6 months old, she's about the same weight as before she got sick, idk what breed she is I got her from a mixed breed flock but she's all black and rather small even though she one of the bigger hens in my flock. Idk if she's vaccinated or anything like that, but none of the other birds have gotten sick. They miss their sister and they went from a 10 bird flock to a four bird flock so maybe a little lonely, but they're okay. I just need precious to be okay, she's well, precious to me. I took pictures yesterday of her eye but it's gotten worse. I'll attach them and maybe someone will know something. If I need to put her down I need to know before she goes through more pain then necessary, I won't make her suffer.

Attachments

• 20230926_153039_HDR.jpg
    20230926_153039_HDR.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 60
  • 20230926_153040.jpg
    20230926_153040.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 18
What have you been treating the eye with? It looks like a white plaque or pus coating the eye, possibly from an infection or peck wound. It is a little hard to see. Normally with an eye infection, you would flush it with saline or an eye wash, then apply Terramycin eye ointment or plain Neosporin twice a day if Terramycin is not available. But I think the pus needs to be removed. A vet may be helpful.

I
What have you been treating the eye with? It looks like a white plaque or pus coating the eye, possibly from an infection or peck wound. It is a little hard to see. Normally with an eye infection, you would flush it with saline or an eye wash, then apply Terramycin eye ointment or plain Neosporin twice a day if Terramycin is not available. But I think the pus needs to be removed. A vet may be helpful.
wasnt sure what to use and I hesitated putting anything on her eye at first because I didn't want to somehow make things worse. I grabbed a generic chicken aid spray from a farm animal store and it seems to help a little with irritation but that looks to be it. I couldn't get a good picture but her eye looks like it's popping out, like I could literally grab it if I wanted.

Back
Top Bottom