Hens loosing feathers (Picture)

SouthCoastEasterEgger

Chirping
5 Years
Feb 23, 2019
South Coast, MA
I have four backyard Easter Egger hens that are now just under a year old (hatched last April). No roosters. I just noticed this week that two of the hens are missing some feathers on the underside of their neck, just under their head. And one chicken is missing a large patch of feathers directly on her back (Picture attached). Any ideas of what this could be?
IMG_20190223_081218.jpg

What type of food are you feeding? They could need more protein. The first winter we had chickens, I had a lot of trouble with feather picking. We switched my entire flock to 19% grower/broiler (with calcium on the side) and the picking stopped. My birds also molted much quicker this year, with none of them going through a hard molt (where they were almost naked).

What type of food are you feeding? They could need more protein. The first winter we had chickens, I had a lot of trouble with feather picking. We switched my entire flock to 19% grower/broiler (with calcium on the side) and the picking stopped. My birds also molted much quicker this year, with none of them going through a hard molt (where they were almost naked).

I've always fed them Kalmbach Layer Crumbles with Oyster Shells since they started laying

Back
Top Bottom