Hens Not Happy with Rooster

cleopup2

Hatching
Jan 29, 2017
I have about 10 hens and one rooster. Various breeds. The Rooster is a Rhode Island Red. All the hens get along with the rooster except for two Buff Orpingtons. They now hide in the chicken house most of the day because they cant stand the rooster. When they do come down, the rooster is relentless in his quest to mount them. I removed the Buff's for about a week and they were very happy. When put back into general population, they reverted right back to hiding. Is this a problem with the breeds or an over anxious rooster.

welcome-byc.gif

How old are the birds in question? Just wondering if it's a young cockerel who might slow down.

hmmm, not sure what your ages are, but if it were me, I think I would either cull the rooster or the two BO hens. How was the flock when the BO's were gone? I hate tension in a flock, I solve problems so that the flock is happy. Often times that means birds need to leave the flock. It might be a space issue. It might be an age issue. Sometimes, when you move victims out of a flock, the bully finds new victims. Sometimes, the flock is happier with the victims gone.

Generally full grown, egg laying hens love their rooster, especially if he is over a year old. By then a good rooster has several things figured out, and hens is one of them.

It is not working out for you and your flock. You could send us the dimensions of the coop/run set up. And the age of all the birds and maybe someone will see something. But I think that these birds are not working in the set up, either the hens or rooster need to go.

Mrs K

I had a psycho stalker rooster once. At that time my birds free ranged and there were over 2 dozen hens to spread the love. This particular rooster also focused on two buff Orpington hens. He would terrorize them relentlessly. They would hide under the porch and he would spend all his time stalking them, setting on the porch. When one would venture out he would drag her around trying to mate repeatedly while she screamed and fought him.
I decided there was nothing about that rooster to offset that behavior.

He tasted just like chicken lol.

If they were young, or new to each other, or you think space might be an issue, I could see waiting or trying to change things up somehow. But sometimes a particular bird just needs to go. Sounds like the case here.

I don't tolerate roosters who attacks his hens. Once a rooster reaches a year of age his behaviors are pretty much set. He should try to woo his hens, and look after them in exchange for mating. He shouldn't be roughing up any of them. I personally wouldn't keep him. I always put the hens first.

Back
Top Bottom