Hens not Roosting

LarryBirds

Chirping
Oct 10, 2018
I have 3 Black Sexed Hens l, 2 Silkie Hens, and 1 Silkie Rooster. They are around 6 months old and none of them will roost at night in their coop. They huddle in the corner no matter the temp. They have tons of room in their coop and the bars are definitely wide enough.

Attachments

• 20180626_211057.jpg
    20180626_211057.jpg
    620.5 KB · Views: 12
I'd start by blocking where they are huddling. How big are the bars? Have you tried moving them up there when it gets dark? I have a similar issue with the youngins. They eventually learn to sleep on the roost. But if none of your are there isnt anyone to teach them.

I have 3 Black Sexed Hens l, 2 Silkie Hens, and 1 Silkie Rooster. They are around 6 months old and none of them will roost at night in their coop. They huddle in the corner no matter the temp. They have tons of room in their coop and the bars are definitely wide enough.
How high are the roosts?
Some Silkies don't like to roost from what I understand, so they just sleep in a pile. Your LF hens may eventually roost on their own or decide to stick with the Silkies.

You can try placing each one on the roost after dark for several days to see if you can train them to roost.

How big is the coop?

Silkies cannot fly. How high are the roosts and how are they supposed to get up there and back down?

Some Silkies are quite happy sleeping on the floor, it does not hurt them. They do not have to roost to be healthy and happy. Some Silkies will roost if they can get up and down. As long as they are not sleeping in the nests I don't see any problems.

Your Black Sex Links are probably just hanging with their buddies. If you want you can start putting them on the roosts at night after it is too dark for them to just hop back down, they could start roosting and the Silkies may want to join them. But I'd think about how they are going to get themselves down before I started putting Silkies on the roost. Let them decide what they prefer.

Back
Top Bottom