Hens or Roos?

Here is 2 RIR "pullets I purchased at 4 days old. They're now 7 weeks. I noticed a larger comb on one. Could I safely determine it's a Roo? Tia

I suspected so..out of 6 rir I think he's tge only one. I also bought 6 golden comets and there's 1 in that bunch has me curious. The comb isn't any larger than the others but at the base of it they are a slight red color. I'm hoping just this guy is my lone rooster because I will keep him. Perk to Country Living!

I suspected so..out of 6 rir I think he's tge only one. I also bought 6 golden comets and there's 1 in that bunch has me curious. The comb isn't any larger than the others but at the base of it they are a slight red color. I'm hoping just this guy is my lone rooster because I will keep him. Perk to Country Living!
Where did you get your Gold Comets from? They are a type of sexlink, meaning you can tell the males from females based on color. But a lot of people don't understand that those characteristics don't continue on past the first generation.

@junebuggena
I got them from my local Rural King. I've been told they buy from Cackle. Thanks for letting me know about the sex links only being able to be determined 1st generation. Good info. I have the dozen 7 week old chicks and 1 6 months old EE. I really wanted to have a variety of breeds but my husband thought it was sweet to bring home a dozen chicks as a suprise. I really wanna keep just a couple of each breed and buy some other breeds by spring.we just have a hard time once any animal comes to our home or land letting them go.

@junebuggena
I got them from my local Rural King. I've been told they buy from Cackle. Thanks for letting me know about the sex links only being able to be determined 1st generation. Good info. I have the dozen 7 week old chicks and 1 6 months old EE. I really wanted to have a variety of breeds but my husband thought it was sweet to bring home a dozen chicks as a suprise. I really wanna keep just a couple of each breed and buy some other breeds by spring.we just have a hard time once any animal comes to our home or land letting them go.
Since your sexlinks are from a reputable hatchery, they are sexable by color. Males are white with some red/gold as they mature. Pullets are red/gold/brown with some white.

Back
Top Bottom