Hens per Nest Box

They always want the same box, but put more out and try putting golf balls in boxes, then the hens will think other hens are laying there. golf balls work good for egg eaters too because once they peck a golf ball they don't want to peck anymore.

That works to a point. Especially if you have new young layers or one that wants to lay outside on the ground. A snake will only eat just 1 too!!
tongue.gif
They also if left in the nest will make some hens go broody. At the time with my leghorn, didn't want broody hens. Needed the eggs. So every time I put a golf ball or two in the nest, mainly for snake, killed 3 this year, she went broody. Had to take them out.

That works to a point. Especially if you have new young layers or one that wants to lay outside on the ground. A snake will only eat just 1 too!! :tongue They also if left in the nest will make some hens go broody. At the time with my leghorn, didn't want broody hens. Needed the eggs. So every time I put a golf ball or two in the nest, mainly for snake, killed 3 this year, she went broody. Had to take them out.

Oh nice, I didn't know the golf balls would deter/kill snakes too, my coop will be 10 yards from a large pond and I know the snakes are in the bushes where the yard backs up to the pond.

Hmmm that golf ball and snakes thing is good to know. We have a very high number or snakes here and have been worried out it. Will have to try the golfball thing.

I'm glad I search before I ask questions. I'm new and was wondering how many boxes I really needed for 10 to 15 hens. Clearly more is not better!! I'm thinking 4 boxes would be plenty.

I'm glad I search before I ask questions. I'm new and was wondering how many boxes I really needed for 10 to 15 hens. Clearly more is not better!! I'm thinking 4 boxes would be plenty.
It depends on if you have very broody breeds. When they go broody they stay in there and the other hens will have to either squeeze in too or find another place. Generally one box per 5 hens is what I have read. In reality, I would want more than that if you are only raising silkies or cochins, for example. But you can get by with a little less if they are non-sitters.

I have 22 hens and we gather 19-20 eggs per day...... almost all of them from the same nest box.

I have seen 4 hens in the box at the same time stacked on each other bickering for a place to sit. It gets real interesting when one goes broody.
lau.gif

I tried multiple boxes, and after seeing that they simply don't care to have a 'private space', i'm going to just build an exterior communal coop (3ft long) in the spring, lol.

As for a Roo, I wouldn't recommend less than 10 hens to 1 Roo.

Just get a long box and they can share. You can also get the card board like nest box from Costco for free. I swapped my out when get dirty.

Back
Top Bottom