Hens plucking each other

Meghannor

In the Brooder
Oct 4, 2023
I’m at my wits end, my hens have had non stop problems pecking and plucking each other. I feel like I have tried everything to help them. Nothing is working and I just don’t know what to do anymore. Attached pictures. Any advice?

Attachments

• IMG_7153.jpeg
    IMG_7153.jpeg
    1,013.2 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_7154.jpeg
    IMG_7154.jpeg
    805.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_7155.jpeg
    IMG_7155.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 15
It can be overcrowding, a pecking order issue, boredom, or even low protein levels. (the bully is going after feathers for high protein food because she can)
Sometimes the feathers will grow back quickly. Other times, it will have to wait until the next full molt cycle.
What are you feeding them?

How many birds do you have in how much space, and ages and sexes? How big is your coop (dimensions) and how much roost space (linear feet), and how are the roosts spaced? Pictures of your set up can be helpful. The most common reason for this behavior is over crowding. When they have bare butts it's often happening on the roosts. Once it starts, it will continue, and if there is any injury, even minor, that draws blood, it can become a major problem. Blood will draw more pecking and cannibalism. You may need to add more space, rearrange things.

I have another thread with more info and pictures. they have more than enough space, there isn’t a way to add any more. They have more than the recommended. They have things to keep them busy, 16% dumor crumble same as it always has been, I have 12 hens all 8 months old, I have tried everything under the sun. Nothing is working, I try to spray them to prevent it more but once it wears off it just continues. Do I need to get rid of some to make the flock less?

Up the protein. I swear it was breed related here too. Dominiques were my pluckers.
You can also add treats they have to work at to get, balls that shake out food. Water bottles with scratch in it, hang them up, bottles have tiny holes in them, cabbage on a rope, that kind of thing.
Feather fixer has I think 18% and game bird higher yet. Sounds like they're in a plucking habit. THey'll keep doing it until satiated and the feathers grow back.

OK, I looked at your pictures in the other thread. I still think space is a problem. There may be enough in the coop depending on your roost layout, there are not pictures of that. If there is only one or two roosts you may need to add one or two more. Some birds like to snuggle, others demand their space. Crowding can result in serious injuries sometimes. I found a coop painted in blood one morning, from a spat on the roosts that tore a comb. The run is very small for that many birds and they have no place to get away from each other. One very dominant bird can make a space too small, and if all of them are doing it, that is your answer. No matter what the math and the recommendations are, the behavior of the flock is the thing to pay attention to. They don't read the literature. They're telling you that they are crowded and bored. You can try adding some outside roosts in the run, so they can get up and away, but I really, really think the run needs to be larger, or they need to be out free ranging (the area can be fenced) for at least part of the day. Lack of adequate space causes more problems than anything else. Chicken logic is not the same as human logic, you have to go by how they are acting. What works for one flock may not work for another, personalities and temperaments are very variable.

Did you add more clutter as advised since you last posted?

16% protein is minimal for most breeds.

I'd strongly consider 1) more clutter in the run 2) upping protein to 18-20% and/or 3) cutting back on number of birds since crowding can be a factor.

Back
Top Bottom