Hens stopped laying eggs

Blackjack1392

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 14, 2013
Jacksonville, Florida
I have 6 BR hens, and 1 BR rooster. The hens are about 9 months old, and for the last 2.5 - 3 months I have been getting 5-6 eggs a day, every day! But for some reason in the last week I have only gotten a total of like 3 eggs. I thought maybe they were laying somewhere outside, so I kept them in the coop/run for the last 4 days but still no eggs. Their diet has not been changed at all so is there any reason they would all just stop laying eggs?

Im not sure if this is a factor, but one of my hens has been broody for about 4 days now. She sits in the nest box all the time, but theres no eggs in the box. Could her becoming broody have some influence on the rest of the hens?

Thanks in advance for any answers,
-Justin

sometimes i think a broody hen "talks" another into becoming broody. typically they both set in the same nest if this happens. i do use the term "talks" loosely, an increase in progesterone causes them to become broody.

if you are here in the U.S. the hens may be starting molt, 'tis the time of year.

So I'm still only getting like 1 egg every 2 days from my hens (6 BR hens). and they aren't losing feathers, so I don't think its molting. Can anyone explain why I might not be getting eggs?

Could it be the addition of my rooster about 2 months ago? He is finally starting to mature and crow? Could him coming into maturity have some cause to them not laying eggs?

So I'm still only getting like 1 egg every 2 days from my hens (6 BR hens). and they aren't losing feathers, so I don't think its molting. Can anyone explain why I might not be getting eggs?

Could it be the addition of my rooster about 2 months ago? He is finally starting to mature and crow? Could him coming into maturity have some cause to them not laying eggs?
I don't think the roo has anything to do with it.
How about light...............our daylight has reduced in Oregon.........
Also, Once when I had this problem, I discovered I had squirrels getting in during the day.
Couldn't believe something that small could carry a whole egg until I saw it.

I really don't know what it is. I am starting to get more eggs though, like 2 a day. So hopefully after awhile ill be back to getting 5 or 6 a day.

My broody hen has eggs under her that are about 14 days into the process to.

think yourself lucky, my 3 just stopped laying altogether about 4 days ago....

sudden drop in temp, the wetness has increased and lack of day light is my thinking....

Back
Top Bottom