Hens stopped laying over a month ago.

liam1983

Hatching
5 Years
Aug 9, 2014
So I am not sure what the issue is here. I purchased 5 Rhode Island hens who are now 9 months old.

For the first 2 weeks in their new coop at least 4 were laying an egg each day. Now only one is and it has been that way for at least 5-6 weeks. They have access to lots of water, laying food and oyster bits. Their pen is 6x10 and for a few weeks I didn't allow them to free range. They have been for the past week or more and still no change in this. Only one has been consistently laying an egg every day. They have a window in their coop and natural light for at least 13 or more hours a day right now..

I live in Nova Scotia and it is summer time, but it has not been exceptionally humid for weeks and its about 20-25 degrees celcius. There are no visible health problems and they are very active no unusual noises from them. There are no known predators, just some crows hanging sometimes.

Any further suggestions as to what the problem could be I am out of ideas.

I'm not sure what's going on but I experienced something similar with my one layer here in Maine (so similar climate to you). She just stopped laying for about 3 weeks, for no apparent reason. Finally, this morning, she got back at it and gave us a small (but very much appreciated and anticipated!) egg. My other girls are 18 weeks and not laying yet so they aren't much help in figuring out if it's the weather. Hopefully, yours will start up again soon too!

Back
Top Bottom