Hens who share a nesting box!?

amanning0924

In the Brooder
Nov 30, 2015
East Tennessee

Ok yall. I'm not sure what's up with two of my hens. I have witnessed this behavior a couple times in the last two weeks. Two of my hens will sit together (sometimes on top of each other) and lay eggs. Its really one of the funniest things I've ever seen
1f603.png
when one if them lays they move to the outside of the box and sit down while the other lays. At first I thought maybe they just both preferred this specific nesting box and that may be the case but I was just curious about this behavior. It may be totally normal butit wasn't normal for them til just a bit ago. We have two nesting boxes between three hens.the other nesting box is empty while they share one. Are they both broody? Are they just best friends and are trying to be supportive of each other?
1f602.png
(that's a joke) Or is this just a normal thing? Just curious to see if anybody has ever had this happen before and knew what my gals are up to.

Very funny!!! Love it!! They will try and keep to one box so the first one to ever lay an egg there set the president that the other followed a fix would be to put a false egg in the other box also it seems as tho they are just timed right that they both need to lay at the same time and the way they see it is there is only one place to lay!! So then you get two trying to lay together I have had two hens try to fight over a box because for the first time ever they had to lay an egg at the same time and never bumped into each other until now so be lucky they don't fight over it!! Another thing to do is just wait it out and they will eventually work it out themselves.

I thought that might be it. I had noticed them eyeballing each other before but didnt think much about it. They dont fight. They just sit on each other. Ihave tried the fake egg in the other box. It doesn't seem to make any difference to those two..lol My other hen will use the empty box while those two are in their stalemate and when she's finished she will look over the top at the other two goobers like she can'tfigure out wwhat's wrong with her box. Who needs TV!? This keeps me entertained..lol

Back
Top Bottom