hens wings are angled down? PICTURE

Something is wrong with my chicken. Today she is just sitting by herself and calling asleep. Do u think an egg broke inside of her? What do I do if that happened. Please help.

Has she laid an egg since she started acting this way? One of my hens was acting lethargic/sleepy/droopy and she hadn't laid. I thought she might be egg bound,so I gave her some crushed egg shells and put her in a very warm bath up to her bottom. After her bath she sat in a box with shavings and a towel over the top for some quiet time, and after about an hour she laid an egg with a chalky shell. Then she was fine, her egg the next day had a thin shell, and this morning was completely normal. I think it got stuck, but I'm no expert. If you think it is a stuck egg I would try the bath and see if it helps.

So i gave her a short bath, she seemed to like it. i thought i felt a cracked egg so i put gloves on and lubed up my finger but there was no egg shell. i guess it was her bone (SORRY PENNY!!) so i brought her inside in a cage next to heater in her own room. hopefully she will push an egg out and thats whats wrong. she hasnt layed in 3 days!!! I havnt seen her eating or drinking today but she was last night. She has food water and yogurt in her cage.

try some type of calcium for her too, from what I've read it will help if she is egg bound. I gave mine crushed egg shell, but you can use a crushed calcium supplement also. Good luck! It is so scary when one of your girls doesn't feel well. As far as bushmannscoop, a 9 week old wouldn't be egg bound, and I don't know enough to help much past that! If you think there is any chance that it is viral or an infection, I would isolate her so that your other pullets don't catch it, and if they are feeling bad quiet time can help.

Yes a bath with Epson salt for about 30 min or until the water cools is the first thing I do when my hens aren't feeling well.

Back
Top Bottom