Hens with Missing Back Feathers

lmadeline146

Songster
Jun 6, 2022
My hen Peanut is shown in the pictures below. She is missing a patch of feathers on her back and a few other hens of mine are too but i dont have any images. We have two roosters but I rarely see them mounting her. She is lower on the pecking order, but I don’t think that bullying is the reason why because 4-5 other hens have missing feathers aswell.

Attachments

• 830608C2-B103-4DCB-BF79-36A160800141.jpeg
    830608C2-B103-4DCB-BF79-36A160800141.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 39
  • 290F440E-E7A4-4628-A23B-2F8B88C1B4A1.jpeg
    290F440E-E7A4-4628-A23B-2F8B88C1B4A1.jpeg
    747.2 KB · Views: 20
Yes, and it may not all be the roosters fault, or it might be the roosters fault. Some roosters have better technique than others, some hens have feathers that are more brittle.

It tends to bother people more than it does hens, but if you have two roosters that may be too many roosters for the flock. Or at least this hen.

Mrs K

My hen Peanut is shown in the pictures below. She is missing a patch of feathers on her back and a few other hens of mine are too but i dont have any images. We have two roosters but I rarely see them mounting her. She is lower on the pecking order, but I don’t think that bullying is the reason why because 4-5 other hens have missing feathers aswell.
I’ve had that problem and its alarming sight to see because they have stripped the feathers bare, I’ve heard that is from either a rough rooster being to aggressive OR it’s a hen who is top hen and they are attempting to mount her… I separated my hen that was being harassed by the bully hen and her feathers are all back now because my hen molted and got new feathers. Good luck 👍

I’ve had that problem and its alarming sight to see because they have stripped the feathers bare, I’ve heard that is from either a rough rooster being to aggressive OR it’s a hen who is top hen and they are attempting to mount her… I separated my hen that was being harassed by the bully hen and her feathers are all back now because my hen molted and got new feathers. Good luck 👍
after reading further maybe they are in a molt?

Yes.. I had two roosters that would make the hens crazy. All of my hens had feathers missing on their backs. I rehomed one of the roos and now the feathers are growing back in.

Back
Top Bottom