Moulting hen

Swampy_9

Chirping
Apr 3, 2023
Currently it is 2/11/2024 , i realized my main head hancho hen is going through a moult. If i remember correctly she started this moult around possibly 1/25/2024 or later i cant fully recall i just recall it was when we got the much warmer days back, but still not so much sun.

As far as im aware and looking her over she's doing just great, she's much moodier than usual but thats what im expecting. And given she's like top ranking hen my other hens haven't pecked at her or tried since she still runs the coop, and as far as im aware they all are still very scared of her.

My questions are this
1. how can i be of more help?
2. How long will the moult possibly last
3. how to prevent possible pecking at pin feathers

Now my hen absolutely will not eat mealworms , ive tried and tried to get her as much protein as i can as i read they need more. all shes been eating is the flock feed i have for my rooster and very little of the calcium and layer feed she usually has. aside that i dont know what i can feed to her for an extra boost

I do also realize my other hens are not without the possibility of pecking. They haven't tried to peck at her at all and she still looks well though obviously colder given half her bum is naked. Should i get something for the pecking if it starts up? Will that also prevent my rooster from going after her? He still tries to mount her from time to time, she still fully feathered at her neck where he pecks her at but is there like a spray or something to prevent him from pecking her until she's done moulting?

Last edited:
oh okay ill see if i can find a store that has any right now, all ive been able to find is the layer feed. Thank you

all shes been eating is the flock feed i have for my rooster and very little of the calcium and layer feed she usually has. aside that i dont know what i can feed to her for an extra boost
This is absolutely fine, likely the all flock has more protein and as she's unlikely to lay/laying at a reduced rate due to molting, the extra calcium in layer is of no use to her right now.

Some birds molt fast, some slow. They get very touchy while molting and may not eat well, so minimize any handling, but do make sure she keeps eating. Otherwise, just give her time.

This is absolutely fine, likely the all flock has more protein and as she's unlikely to lay/laying at a reduced rate due to molting, the extra calcium in layer is of no use to her right now.

Some birds molt fast, some slow. They get very touchy while molting and may not eat well, so minimize any handling, but do make sure she keeps eating. Otherwise, just give her time.
okay ill do that. I noticed though shes eating like a starved hen. Almost keeping a whole feeder for herself. But i just assume that is normal?

Has she ever been wormed?
No. Though i suppose its not Impossible.

I just noticed it with the flock raiser i have. that she hordes food for herself but doesnt over eat. Maybe just eats a cup more of what she usually ate.

I also assume maybe out of the moulting she's had. My other hens are now as big as her?

No. Though i suppose its not Impossible.

I just noticed it with the flock raiser i have. that she hordes food for herself but doesnt over eat. Maybe just eats a cup more of what she usually ate.

I also assume maybe out of the moulting she's had. My other hens are now as big as her?
An imperial cup or The cup you feed them from? She could just be territorial.

An imperial cup or The cup you feed them from? She could just be territorial.
an imperial cup. But yeah i assume maybe thats what it is?

i have noticed her chest feathers have grown back just nicely. im just waiting to see if her bum will get some back before the last snowfall we have. but ill keep an eye on her eating and for potential worms

an imperial cup. But yeah i assume maybe thats what it is?

i have noticed her chest feathers have grown back just nicely. im just waiting to see if her bum will get some back before the last snowfall we have. but ill keep an eye on her eating and for potential worms
It seems like a little much for one hen, does she have an abnormally large crop in general?

Back
Top Bottom