her feathers are comming out of her head. . . . . why??

lightbread48

In the Brooder
11 Years
Feb 23, 2008
Thomasville Ga
one of my hen has been loosing her feathers out of the back of her head. I dont think anyone else has been pulling them out because she doesnt have sores or bleeding so im not sure what has been going on. The problem is jus getting worse. She is getting a little more bald every day. this has been going on for about 2 weeks now. Im going to try posting a picture of her, but it has been so long since I posted a photo, so forgive me if i cant get it and this message has lots of stuff that makes no sense at the bottom! lol

edited to say:
yep i messed up. be back with the picture later

lol.png

Last edited:
yes i have one roo in there with 8 hens. she also appears to be loosing weight. i forgot to mention that. I can see the shape of her wing now where i cannot on the other girls and couldnt on her last week. she doesnt look pitiful, but i can tell she is thinner than the other hen just like her. also no one else is loosing feathers like this

Ouch!
Maybe putting some of that nasty-tasting pine tar that you put on baby chick injuries (and horse hooves) on her head could help discourage feather pulling that may be going on ??

I am thinking that she is your roosters favorite hen. My rooster does this to some of my hens too. My ratio of rooster to hens is 1:32 and he still has his favorites.

Back
Top Bottom