her feathers are comming out of her head. . . . . why??

Have you observed her eating? Is she acting any differently than before she started going bald? Is she hanging out by herself, or engaging with the others? It could be the beginning of a molt or the result of the roo. Does the roo hold on to that area during mating?

6 of my 20 hens started molting a few weeks ago. Three started by getting bald heads, similar to yours. They looked awful. Then they started getting bald spots on the back and fuzzy little feathers popping out in other places. They don't look skinny though - but I'm thinking they could if they lost feathers in the right place.

If she's acting sickly, I would definitely separate her. Otherwise, since there is no blood, I would watch her outside and see if you can determine if it's the roo or someone else picking out the feathers. Also to see if she is eating.

Be sure to let us know what you find out. I hope it's just a molt. That's much easier to deal with than other issues. Best of luck.

Penny

Last edited:
Quote:
i dont think there is anything for her to be stressed about. They always have something to scratch and eat. There is always plenty of food. She gets along with everyone else. I dont ever see them chasing her or pecking her. I jus dont have a clue whats going on.

Quote:
i dont think there is anything for her to be stressed about. They always have something to scratch and eat. There is always plenty of food. She gets along with everyone else. I dont ever see them chasing her or pecking her. I jus dont have a clue whats going on.

no clue? she is being bred by a rooster, just like half of us have stated already..

well I think that I have found the answer. Last night when I went to the coop to feed up, I turned the light on as ususal everybody got off the roost. The rooster ran over to that hen and grabbed her by the neck slammed her on the ground and bred her. So the answer is: the rooster is doing the damage. poor girl

I was in a hurry earlier when I checked back in to let everyone know what was going on. I forgot to mention to everyone that answered my post how much i appreciate the help and advice. This website is so so very help. This is where i come for advice before I ask anybody esle usually. Just a big thanks to everyone for all the suppot!!!

Back
Top Bottom